Curry potato stuffed mushrooms are a wonderful appetizer! Easy and allergy friendly, so everyone can enjoy them!
Well, we just changed the number on our chalkboard Advent calendar and there are 8 days left until Christmas.
Yikes. For some reason, I thought I had more time! A lot of my shopping is done, although I have to make a run to TJ Maxx and Macy’s tomorrow to pick up a couple of things for Darryl. I’ve done my fair share of baking already, but I do have two more cookie recipes that we will be making for Christmas.
I haven’t been able to decide what I will be bringing to Christmas Eve at my Mom and Dad’s house. I think my sweet potato casserole for sure, and some cookies, and maybe an appetizer. Which brings me to today’s recipe for these vegan and gluten free curry potato stuffed mushrooms.
I LOVE stuffed mushrooms. I used to make them pretty frequently back in my cheese-eating days. Darryl used to love to make them too, and his favorite was a combination of blue cheese, bacon, and spinach. So good.
We’ve gotten a little bit creative these days, since cheese isn’t an option. I still crave a creamy filling inside the mushroom, so potato is a good alternative for us. I added a lot of vegan buttery spread, some coconut milk, spinach, and some Indian spices, and made these flavorful bites. These dairy free stuffed mushrooms didn’t last long at our house! Depending on the size of your mushrooms, you may have some potato filling left over, but don’t worry, you can just grab a spoon and polish that off in no time. ;)
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Curry Potato Stuffed Mushrooms.
Curry potato stuffed mushrooms make a tasty appetizer!
- 20 white button mushrooms
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 1 1/4 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with a little olive oil.
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Place them on the baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- While the mushrooms bake, boil the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, then add the vegan buttery spread, coconut milk, and spices. Use a potato masher or a hand blender to mix until smooth and creamy. Add the spinach and stir until heated through.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and drain off the excess juice from each mushroom cap. Set the oven to 450 degrees.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the potato mixture. You may not use all the potato mixture depending on how large the mushrooms are.
- Place the filled mushrooms back in the oven for about 5 minutes to heat them through.
- Let cool for a minute before moving the mushrooms to a serving tray.
There you go! A quick and easy vegan and gluten free appetizer for your holiday parties! Your guests won’t even miss the cheese. :