A delicious, thick, dairy free chocolate shake made with frozen bananas. A perfect breakfast or dessert.
A couple of weeks ago we went to a food truck rally, which we’ve done plenty of times before. But this time, there was a vegan food truck there! I couldn’t believe it! And it wasn’t just any vegan food truck, it was a truck that specialized in burgers, fries and shakes. Yum. I love it when I’m surprised by being able to eat anything when we are out…it happens so rarely, since I’m always very careful to avoid eggs and dairy.
Anyway, the nice people who ran the truck assured me that everything was safe for me to eat, so I ordered a lentil burger, french fries and a chocolate shake. The chocolate shake was the best chocolate shake I’ve ever had, dairy or otherwise. I knew what was in it, more or less, so I decided to recreate this delicious treat at home.
Dairy Free Chocolate Banana Milkshake.
- 2 frozen bananas I cut a raw banana up into coins and then freeze it, cut up
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 non-dairy milk I used SO Delicious brand unsweetened refrigerated coconut milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon golden ground flax seed optional
- dairy free mini chocolate chips for on top optional
- Place the bananas in the blender and let them sit for a few minutes so they thaw slightly.
Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, non-dairy milk and ground flax seed if using and blend until smooth. (It might take a few minutes, depending on how powerful your blender is).
- Enjoy immediately.
That’s all there is to it! You could also add peanut butter, that would be a fun change. Or shredded coconut, or even a few strawberries. If you don’t like coconut milk, just use your favorite non-dairy milk.