A delicious, thick, dairy free chocolate shake made with frozen bananas makes a perfect breakfast or dessert. This tasty chocolate milkshake can be enjoyed by the whole family.
When you remove dairy from your diet, sometimes you might feel like you’re missing out. I know that feeling all too well! It can be really frustrating to feel like you’ll never get to have a decadent ice cream pie or a frosty milkshake ever again.
There are lots of great dairy substitutes out there. You can drink milk made from flax seeds, oats, rice, soy, coconut, and many other options. There are many, many frozen dairy free ice cream products, too.
If you’re new to a dairy free diet, this chocolate banana milkshake might be just what you’re looking for. It’s rich, chocolatey, and it’s made with just a few ingredients.
For this recipe, we’re using frozen bananas to mimic the creaminess and frostiness of ice cream, and ¾ cup of non-dairy milk to help blend this milkshake. You can use any non-dairy milk that works for your diet. Be sure to visit my post on dairy substitutes to learn more about how to use them in recipes.
You do need a good blender to make this milkshake. I like my Oster blender, but of course a Vitamix, Ninja, or other high-powered blender will work very well. Frozen bananas can be a little hard to blend, so you may want to let them thaw for about 10 minutes before blending.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the frozen banana pieces in the blender.
- Add the cocoa powder, non-dairy milk, and maple syrup (if using).
- Blend on high speed until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy! Top with a few dairy free chocolate chips if you like.
More Dairy Free Drinks
This is a fun treat to make with kids, and a good way to get some extra fruit into their diets!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Chocolate Banana Milkshake.
- 2 frozen bananas I cut a raw banana up into pieces and then froze it
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ Tablespoons maple syrup optional
- ¾ non-dairy milk I used SO Delicious brand unsweetened refrigerated coconut milk
- ½ Tablespoon golden ground flax seed optional
- dairy free chocolate chips for on top optional
- Place the bananas in the blender and let them sit for a few minutes so they thaw slightly.
- Add the cocoa powder, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, and ground flax seed if using and blend until smooth. (It might take a few minutes, depending on how powerful your blender is).
- Pour into a glass and top with a few chocolate chips if you like. Enjoy immediately.