Extra creamy dairy free vanilla ice cream is loaded with chocolate sandwich cookies for a delicious summer dessert! You won’t believe this cookies and cream ice cream is vegan. It’s the perfect dessert to make on a summer day.
What was your favorite ice cream flavor when you were growing up? I had a few favorites…chocolate chip, moose tracks, chocolate chip cookie dough, and cookies and cream ice cream were all up there as favorite flavors.
And if we were headed to Dairy Queen, well, it was a cookies and cream Blizzard that I ordered, pretty much every single time. Since a trip to Dairy Queen is not in our future due to food allergies, of course I needed to remake my childhood favorite in my ice cream maker here at home.
This was such an easy flavor to recreate! I used coconut milk and maple syrup, and crumbled in some chocolate sandwich cookies, and that was all there was to it. But the result was SO good. The texture of this ice cream reminded me of a Blizzard. This is an awesome dessert to make this summer!
- Coconut Cream – Coconut cream makes this ice cream super rich and delicious. If you can’t find canned coconut cream, you can use canned coconut milk – just be sure to drain off the excess water/liquid.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup works well as a sweetener in this recipe. You could also use honey or agave syrup if you prefer.
- Cookies – You will need to decide what type of chocolate sandwich/oreo cookies to get based on your dietary needs. Actual oreos are vegan, as are some other brands. I like the Kinnikinnick brand – those are gluten free. If you need to, you can make your own chocolate sandwich cookies.
An ice cream maker is needed to make this dessert. I don’t know of a way to make this without this tool. I have the Cuisinart countertop ice cream maker and it does a nice job.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a bowl. Whisk it together, or blend it using a hand blender.
- Crumble up some chocolate sandwich cookies and set aside.
- Place the coconut cream mixture in your ice cream maker, and process according to the directions for your specific machine. Add the cookies 5 minutes before it is done processing.
- Serve immediately or store in the freezer.
Store leftover ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer. It should stay fresh for up to 3 months. Be aware that it will need to thaw out somewhat before you can scoop it out and eat it, since coconut milk gets very hard when frozen.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Cookies and Cream Ice Cream.
- Place the coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in a bowl. Whisk it together, or use a hand blender to blend it.
- Place the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream maker.
- Process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- About 5 minutes before it is done processing, add the crumbled oreo cookies.
- Enjoy immediately, or store in the freezer. If you store in the freezer, you will need to allow time to thaw slightly before eating.