If you’re in the mood for a hearty and delicious breakfast, you have to try this dairy free sausage gravy and biscuits. This is a tasty recipe that’s a great start to your weekend! You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make a flavorful gravy without gluten or dairy.
Sausage gravy and biscuits was a favorite weekend breakfast at my house when I was growing up. My dad is from the South, so that was a breakfast that he liked to make for us.
I love to share recipes with my children that are a part of my family tradition, so I’ve been making dairy free gravy and biscuits for many years. It’s pretty easy to make this classic breakfast without dairy since there are so many great dairy free milks available today.
With just a few simple ingredients, you’ll have a deliciously hearty and savory sausage gravy to serve over fluffy biscuits or rolls.
- Breakfast Sausage – We have always used pork breakfast sausage to make gravy, because it has the right amount of grease to make gravy. If you try to make this with chicken sausage, there may not be enough grease to make the gravy.
- Non-Dairy Milk – You need a neutral tasting, unsweetened non-dairy milk for this recipe. I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage. You could use oat milk, almond milk, soy milk, flax milk, or any other milk that works for your dietary needs.
- Gluten Free Flour – To make this recipe gluten free, I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend to thicken the gravy. You could use a different brand of gluten free flour if you like. If you aren’t gluten free, go ahead and use all-purpose flour.
Step by Step Instructions
- Brown the pork sausage in a large skillet.
- Add the gluten free flour to the sausage and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the non-dairy milk one cup at a time, stirring in between each addition.
- Continue to cook the gravy, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over freshly baked biscuits.
Serve this sausage gravy over biscuits or rolls. If you’re looking for a gluten free biscuit recipe, this one looks good.
Store leftover gravy in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Sausage Gravy (Gluten Free).
- Place the sausage in a large skillet, and cook over medium heat, using a spatula to break it up as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is browned, add the gluten free flour to the pan and continue to cook for a couple of minutes to remove the raw taste from the flour.
- Add the non-dairy milk one cup at a time, stirring in between additions.
- Continue to cook the gravy, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Add the ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Taste the gravy and season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve over dairy free biscuits.