Seasoned rice is the perfect side dish for just about anything. This simple recipe is made with ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry! Serve this with your favorite roasted chicken and vegetables for a delicious Sunday dinner.
When I was in college, one thing that I always had on hand was packaged, seasoned rice packets. It was a side dish that was super easy for me to make, and it went well with many different entrees.
Those kind of packaged mixes don’t work for us anymore. Now that we have a few food allergies to contend with, packaged products with lots of seasonings often aren’t safe.
Thankfully, it’s really easy to make seasoned rice from scratch! This is a great option for those of us with food allergies and intolerances. That way you can choose the brand of spices that works for your particular needs.
- Rice – I like to use long grained white rice when I make this. Try Jasmine or Basmati rice. You can use Brown Basmati rice, but it does take longer to cook, so keep that in mind.
- Spices – You will need salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and poultry seasoning to make this recipe.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – We like Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread, but you can use any brand that works for your dietary needs.
- Water or Broth – To keep things simple, I used water to make my rice, but you could use broth if you’d like it to be even more flavorful.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the rice, water, spices, and salt in a pot that has a lid. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, but keep the lid on so that the rice can steam for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vegan buttery spread, then fluff the rice with a fork. Enjoy!
- Try adding some fresh herbs after the rice cooks. You could add chives, parsley, or dill.
- Use different spices if you like! You can be creative. You could add cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder for a Mexican blend. Try curry powder and Garam Masala for an Indian blend.
- If you can have nuts, you could add some slivered almonds for a little crunch.
Store leftover rice in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you reheat it, make sure it is steaming. Leftover rice can harbor bacteria, so it’s important to reheat it thoroughly before eating.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Seasoned Rice.
- Place the Jasmine rice, water (or broth), spices, and salt in a pot that has a lid.
- Place the lid on the pot and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, but keep the lid on so the rice can steam for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vegan buttery spread. Fluff rice with a fork and enjoy!