Thick, rich, and chewy, these gluten free double chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies are a great dessert that you can enjoy all year. Make cookie mix in a jar and give it as a gift – it’s sure to be a hit!
Do you ever struggle with what to give as a gift?
Whether it’s the holiday season, or the end of the school year, making a gift of jarred cookie mix is a fun and creative way to say thank you.
These gluten free double chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies are SO good. They’re thick, chewy, full of chocolate chips, and just an all-around decadent treat.
If you know someone who loves to bake, a jar of cookie mix is a great homemade gift.
These chewy chocolate coconut oatmeal cookies are just right for dunking in a glass of milk, or enjoying with a cup of tea and a good book. They’re a special treat that’s a hit with children and adults.
This chocolate oat cookie recipe is:
- gluten free
- dairy free and vegan
- easy to make with simple ingredients
- so rich and chocolatey
And when you make this up and gift it in a jar, you can be creative with how you package it! Gift wrapping is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season. I have all kinds of ribbons and twine and embellishments, and I just love to wrap everything and make it look super pretty.
How to package a cookie mix in a mason jar:
- Layer the dry ingredients in the mason jar.
- Place the lid on, and decorate by covering with a piece of fabric and a ribbon, or some twine, raffia, jingle bells, glittery bows, etc.
- Finish it off with a printed or hand drawn tag.
These chocolatey, coconutty, chewy, and delicious cookies are a perfect gift idea. And the best part is, if you give them as a jarred gift, the recipient can make them whenever they like. They can save them up for a rainy day. :)
How long does cookie mix in a jar last?
This recipe should be stored in a cool, dry place, and should keep for up to three months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Double Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies.
Layer in a Quart Size Jar:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend Namaste Perfect Flour Blend or Enjoy Life Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour work well
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup certified gluten free old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Add to contents of jar:
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
To make the jarred cookie mix:
To make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream ½ cup vegan buttery spread, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 cup water, and the unsweetened applesauce. Add the contents of the jar to the wet ingredients and mix by hand.
- Roll dough into balls about 1.5 inches in diameter and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies.
The jarred cookie mix should last for three months when stored in a cool, dry place.
If you would like to make this with regular butter, or regular flour, that will work very well.
I’ve even included cute printable gift tags and recipe cards to make gifting these cookies even easier! Find the gift tags HERE, and the recipe cards HERE. As long as you have your ingredients and jars ready to go, it’s pretty easy to whip up a few jars of this mix to give as gifts.
For another gift idea, try this curried lentil rice soup mix in a jar.
This post was written in December 2014. It has been updated with new text.