It’s easy to make a flavorful gluten free gravy with just a few ingredients! This gluten free, dairy free recipe is simple, and it’s the perfect finishing touch for your holiday meal. It’s warm, savory, and delicious.
What’s a holiday meal with out mashed potatoes and gravy? I have the recipe for the best dairy free mashed potatoes on my site, and now it’s time to share a recipe for easy gluten free gravy as well. Gravy on top of a fluffy pile of mashed potatoes is a must-make Thanksgiving side dish. And don’t forget the green bean casserole!
Whether you’re in need of a good dairy free and gluten free gravy for Thanksgiving or for Sunday dinner, this recipe is easy, flavorful, and made with simple ingredients.
- Thickener – I prefer corn starch, but tapioca starch also works as a thickener. I have also used a gluten free flour blend, and that works really well. Gluten free flour is a nice option if you have a corn allergy. Just make sure your brand of flour doesn’t contain any corn!
- Chicken or Turkey Drippings – Drippings are a key ingredient for adding flavor to this gravy. I highly recommend using them. But if you’re in a hurry, or have kiddos randomly asking for mashed potatoes in the middle of the week, you can just make this gluten free gravy with chicken broth.
- Chicken Broth – Use your favorite brand of chicken broth or turkey broth, or use homemade chicken broth or stock.
- Seasonings – Season this gravy with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Make Ahead Instructions
You can make this ahead of time, but it will kind of solidify in the refrigerator. Just make sure to whisk it thoroughly as you reheat it, and add a little more broth if needed.
Serving a Crowd
If you’re serving a crowd, you can easily double or triple this recipe. And if you have an occasion to make beef gravy, you can do that – just use beef stock and beef drippings. We love to enjoy homemade gravy when we eat pot roast or meatloaf.
Store leftover gravy in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 4 days. You could also freeze this – just store it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Easiest Gluten Free Gravy Recipe (Dairy Free).
- Place the chicken broth and drippings (if using) in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Place the corn starch (or other thickener) in a mug and add ¼ cup of the hot broth. Whisk well with a fork.
- Add the starch/broth mixture to the pan. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat while whisking to remove any lumps. The gravy should thicken pretty quickly. If it is too thick, add some more broth.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired before serving.