Learn how to make the fluffiest, lightest, egg free and dairy free biscuits you will ever eat! Homemade biscuits are true comfort food, and one that pairs perfectly with chili, soup, or a holiday dinner.
If you can’t have dairy or eggs, you may wonder if you can bake biscuits that will rise and be light and fluffy. Good news – you sure can!
Generally, eggs are not a requirement to make biscuits. Butter is definitely needed though, and thankfully, you can use a vegan butter substitute to make good dairy free biscuits. Once you make these, I think you’ll be surprised at how “normal” these taste. We serve them very frequently when we have friends and family over, and they always disappear!
- Baking Powder – This is the secret ingredient! This recipe has a fair amount of baking powder, and also some baking soda. When combined, those ingredients make these vegan biscuits nice and light and fluffy.
- Flour – I used white spelt flour, but all-purpose flour would also work well.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I recommend Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread or Baking Sticks for this recipe.
- Water – I don’t use dairy free milk in this recipe, because I find that water works just as well. And water is something that you always have on hand, so I find that it’s just simpler to use water. If you prefer to use a neutral tasting non-dairy milk, feel free to do so.
- Biscuit Cutter – You really don’t need a biscuit cutter for these – you can drop them right on the pan. I usually drop a dollop of dough on the pan, and then use my hands to shape the dough, making it a little more evenly round. You could use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter if you like.
- Rimmed Cookie Sheet – A rimmed cookie sheet is best for baking these biscuits. Be sure to leave a couple of inches between biscuits so that they have room to spread during baking.
Step by Step Instructions
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the vegan buttery spread, and use a pastry blender to incorporate it into the dry ingredients.
- Add the water and mix the dough together.
- Spoon the biscuit dough onto a cookie sheet, and use your hands to shape the biscuits into a round shape. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
I haven’t tried freezing this dough – I don’t think it would work well. But you can freeze these biscuits once they are baked! That would work out just fine. Wrap in waxed paper and then in foil or store in a ziploc freezer bag.
I have not tried that yet – if you give it a try, please let me know!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Fluffy Egg Free Dairy Free Biscuits.
- 2 cups white spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder scant – just slightly less than a full Tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread I use Earth Balance soy free spread
- 1 cup water
- sea salt flakes or coarse salt optional – for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the white spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Add the five tablespoons of vegan buttery spread and use a pastry blender to cut the vegan buttery spread into the flour. It will look like coarse crumbs.
- Add the cup of water and mix with a spoon.
- Spoon the dough onto the cookie sheet. Use your hands to shape the biscuit dough into rounds. Sprinkle a little salt on top of each biscuit.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, or until the biscuits are lightly golden.
- Serve while warm with vegan buttery spread, honey, or jam.
Adapted from this recipe.