Gluten free brownies with chocolate avocado frosting are thick, delicious, and chocolatey! No one will guess that the frosting is made from avocado!
Just look at these brownies! Would you believe that those are made with a boxed mix? And that rich chocolate frosting is not only dairy free but made from avocado? Yup! It’s all true.
Disclosure: I received free samples of these mixes from Enjoy Life Foods. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. This post does contain affiliate links.
I honestly can’t remember the last time I opened up a brownie mix, whipped it up, and was pleased with the results. I would have to say it was back in my egg eating days? Since we no longer eat eggs, it has become quite difficult to just open a boxed mix, prepare it, and be pleased with the results.
That’s all changed. Enjoy Life Foods has come out with a line of five different baking mixes that are not only gluten free, but free of the top 8 allergens. This new line contains mixes for pizza crust, muffins, pancakes and waffles, brownies, and an all-purpose flour mix. I almost can’t handle the convenience! Safe, allergy friendly mixes that actually taste good.
Here are a few things about these mixes that make them unique:
- they only require oil and water (seriously, that’s it!)
- they contain a shelf-stable probiotic for immune health
- each serving contains 5 grams of protein
We have tried three of the mixes so far – the pizza crust, the pancakes, and the brownies. The pizza crust was very good – it was easy to roll out (not too sticky), and baked up nicely. We made it two ways – one thin crust, and one SUPER thin crust. We preferred the thinner version – it was a bit crisper that way. We topped this pizza crust with sauce, Daiya cheese, eggplant, nutritional yeast, and red pepper flakes. It was an easy and tasty family meal.
The pancakes were so easy to make! I was impressed with how easy they were to flip. We did use a fair amount of vegan buttery spread in the pan to make sure that they didn’t stick. These pancakes were thin, with a crispy outside and a tender inside. They were perfect topped with fresh fruit. My boys enjoyed them with buttery spread and syrup.
And now onto the brownie mix!
I had given up on boxed brownies. Every time I tried to make a gluten free mix without eggs, it was just a huge mess. They would burn up on the edges and be undercooked in the center, or they would be gritty. Yuck.
I was very skeptical when I read the instructions on the Enjoy Life Brownie Mix. Just add oil and water and bake…ha! I said to myself.
You guys, I was blown away. These brownies are thick, chocolatey, and chewy. They are really so delicious. I decided to top them with chocolate avocado frosting and when Darryl ate one he said, “I can’t believe these are gluten free and I can’t believe the frosting has avocado!” :) I’m so sneaky with avocado and desserts you know.
Gluten Free Brownies with Chocolate Avocado Frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted two inches from the edge of the pan comes out clean. Let brownies cool fully.
- Slice the avocado and place in a food processor along with the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Process on high, stopping to scrape down the sides occasionally until very smooth and combined.
- Taste the frosting and add more cocoa powder or maple syrup if needed. The frosting will be thick. Spread over completely cooled brownies. Store leftover brownies in the refrigerator.
I love this frosting so much – the avocado makes it so creamy and smooth. Your avocado has to be perfectly ripe though – if it is over ripe it will taste awful! A perfectly ripe avocado is tasteless in this frosting, even on the next day.
Have you tried these new mixes yet? What did you think?