These fudgy chocolate sweet potato cookies have are grain free, egg free, and delicious! These are a tasty way to get some sweet potatoes into your diet.
If you have picky eaters in your family, you know that sometimes you have to get a little bit creative.
When they’re going through a phase of mostly toast and cereal and chicken, you have to put on your thinking cap and figure out how to sneak those veggies into them.
These chocolate sweet potato cookies are a nice way to get some sweet potato into your child’s diet while serving them dessert. These grain free fudgy chocolate cookies are so delicious, no one will guess that they’re made with vegetables!
You can bake your sweet potatoes any way you choose – either the oven or the microwave will work well. Once they’re cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and mix it with all the other ingredients. One large sweet potato or two small sweet potatoes should be enough to get 3/4 cups of mashed sweet potatoes.
Unsure about the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? This article may help clear up any confusion.
What is the texture of these sweet potato cookies?
These are very soft and fudgy. They do cook through the middle, so they aren’t raw inside, but the texture is very fudgy. This is not a cookie that will be crisp.
The cookie batter is so delicious, even on its own! It tastes like very decadent brownie batter. My children love to lick the beaters when I make these cookies!
What can I try if I can’t eat sweet potatoes?
If you can’t do sweet potatoes, you could try black beans in this recipe. Just rinse and drain the cooked beans, then process until smooth in a food processor.
Do I have to use coconut sugar in this recipe?
You can use any type of sugar that works for your dietary needs. Regular sugar, brown sugar, date sugar, maple sugar…these should all work well.
These grain free chocolate sweet potato cookies are soft and delicious. They’re a great dessert to make if you’re out of gluten free flour, or if you’re avoiding all grains. You can top them with a few chocolate chips or a sprinkle of sea salt if you want – it’s up to you.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Fudgy Chocolate Sweet Potato Cookies (Grain Free, Vegan).
These fudgy chocolate sweet potato cookies are made with healthier ingredients, but are so delicious and rich!
- ¾ cups baked sweet potatoes skins removed
- 5/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5/8 cup coconut sugar you can use brown sugar if you prefer
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- dairy free chocolate chips optional
- sea salt flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut sugar and vegan buttery spread in a mixing bowl or food processor and mix or blend on medium speed.
- Add the sweet potatoes. cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt, and mix until blended and smooth.
- Spoon the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet. Top with dairy free chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet before moving them. They will be soft.
- Store leftover cookies in the refrigerator.
Store the leftover cookies in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
These should last for 3 days in the refrigerator.
If you can't eat sweet potatoes, try black beans instead.
This post was originally published in March 2017. It has been updated with more information and tips.