This is the quickest way to enjoy a cozy cup of hot cocoa this winter! Microwave hot chocolate can be made in just minutes. Top with marshmallows or crushed candy canes for a festive treat!
The wind is blowing through here today, ushering in freezing temperatures and a few snowflakes. This chilly, blustery weather made me want to start the day with a comforting cup of hot chocolate.
I love any kind of hot chocolate, from peppermint hot cocoa to vegan hot chocolate bombs. Just the other day, we had friends over outside, and the kiddos needed to warm up quickly, so I made a big batch of my classic vegan hot chocolate. I love to get the disposable, insulated, to-go cups so that everyone can warm up outside without interrupting their play.
Sometimes you just want a quick cup of cocoa, and that’s where this recipe for microwave hot chocolate comes in. It takes just 3 ingredients and a couple of minutes to make this easy recipe.
- non-dairy milk of your choice
- unsweetened cocoa powder
Which Non-Dairy Milk to Use
You can try this recipe with any number of non-dairy milks. Coconut milk, rice milk, flax milk, oat milk, soy milk…any of these would be just fine. A neutral tasting milk is best to allow the chocolate flavor to come through.
- Out of cocoa powder? Try adding 3 Tablespoons of chocolate chips, and stir until they melt.
- Use any sweetener that you like. Try coconut sugar, maple syrup, or brown sugar.
- I have not tried this with a sugar substitute. If you try that, please let me know!
Step By Step Instructions
- Pour 12 ounces of the milk of your choice into a microwave safe mug. Microwave on high for 75 seconds.
2. Add the sugar and cocoa powder.
3. Stir briskly until all the sugar and cocoa powder is incorporated.
4. Add mini marshmallows if desired.
That’s all there is to it! Depending on the power of your microwave, you may need to microwave the milk for more or less time. Be sure to carefully test the temperature of the hot chocolate before drinking and especially before giving this to children.
Watch the video below to see how easy this recipe is:
More Chocolate Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Microwave Hot Chocolate (Dairy Free).
Cozy up with a cup of hot chocolate made in minutes with the microwave! This hot chocolate is rich and delicious, and it's dairy free, too!
- 12 ounces non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- mini marshmallows optional
Pour the non-dairy milk into a microwave safe mug. Microwave for 75 seconds or until hot. The amount of time needed may vary depending on your microwave.
Stir in the unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar. Stir briskly to remove any lumps.
Top with mini marshmallows if desired. Enjoy!
Your cooking time may vary based on the power of your microwave.
Please carefully test the temperature of the hot chocolate before drinking, and especially before giving to children.
This is so easy to make!