This healthy broccoli soup is very quick to make, and it’s delicious, too! Top with parmesan cheese and serve with crackers for a tasty meal.
There’s nothing like a delicious bowl of soup on a cold day! I love broccoli soup, and I used to really like the creamy, rich, cheesy versions found in restaurants. I do still like that type on occasion, but now I prefer a lighter, recipe – this healthy broccoli soup.
This is my favorite broccoli soup – it’s very quick, flavorful, and gluten free. I adapted this recipe from Betty Crocker’s Quick & Easy Cookbook.
Healthy Broccoli Soup.
Quick, tasty, and healthy broccoli soup - a delicious gluten free lunch recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound broccoli 3 1/2 cups, coarsely chopped or 2 10 ounce packages frozen, chopped broccoli
- 14 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed optional
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Cook onion and carrots in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in mustard seed, salt and pepper.
- Stir in broccoli, broth and water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blend using an immersion blender. Blend until smooth.
Return the pan to the burner. Heat over low heat just until hot. Stir in sour cream. Top with shredded cheese if desired.
If you want to be a little less healthy, you can top this broccoli soup with cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles. We also enjoy it with gluten free crackers. If you are vegan, use vegetable broth, and just leave the sour cream out. It is still really delicious and has a lot of flavor. If you want to make preparation even quicker, go ahead and use frozen carrots, onions, and broccoli.
This healthy broccoli soup recipe is:
- quick and easy to make
- gluten free and allergy friendly
- perfect for a light lunch or dinner