Oat flour chocolate chip cookies are perfectly chewy and delicious. Brown sugar, oats, and chocolate chips combine to make a great tasting gluten free cookie! This recipe uses simple ingredients to create a delicious, allergy friendly cookie.
When you start baking without gluten, eggs, and dairy, it can be a confusing time. There are so many ingredients to choose from!
Which flour should you use? A gluten free flour blend from the store? A blend you create yourself? Coconut flour? Rice flour?
It can be so frustrating to have to make all these decisions, when really, you just want to make something homemade.
A nice, warm batch of chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven would be so nice.
That’s where these oat flour chocolate chip cookies come in. They’re allergy friendly, easy to make, and they require the simplest of gluten free flours – oat flour.
Many gluten free cookie recipes use a gluten free flour blend that contains rice. But this one only uses oats. For those with a rice allergy, this recipe is a good alternative.
You can buy gluten free oat flour if you like, but it’s so easy to make your own oat flour at home. You just need gluten free oats, and a food processor.
How to make oat flour
It’s so easy to make oat flour. Place some certified gluten free oats in a food processor, and process on high until they are finely ground.
If you want your flour to be extra fine, just sift it with a fine mesh sieve after you’re done processing it. This will remove any pieces that are larger. It’s okay to skip this step – the cookies will just have a bit more texture.
Are oats gluten free?
Yes, oats are naturally gluten free. The issue is with cross contamination – oats are often processed in the same facility as wheat, so they become contaminated with gluten.
Be sure to buy only oats that are certified gluten free – this means that they are not processed with any wheat or any grains that contain gluten.
A good brand to try is GF Harvest Oats – these oats are made in a nut free facility and can be found on Amazon.
How to store oat flour
After you grind the oat flour, you can store it in an airtight container in your pantry for up to 3 months.
You could also store it in the freezer if you prefer. It should stay fresh in the freezer for 4-5 months.
How to make oat flour chocolate chip cookies
- Grind certified gluten free oats in the food processor to make oat flour.
- Mix the vegan buttery spread and sugars on high speed until combined. Add the applesauce and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips and chill the dough for one hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool fully on the cookie sheet before moving.
Gluten free baking tips
- Be sure to chill the dough to prevent spreading.
- Use parchment paper to keep the cookies from sticking to the cookie sheet.
- Let the cookies cool completely before moving to a plate or tray.
- If you aren’t dairy free, feel free to use regular butter.
- Instead of brown sugar, you can use coconut sugar or date sugar if you prefer.
- You can use pumpkin puree or pear puree instead of applesauce.
- Use dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks if you like.
How to freeze this dough
- Scoop the cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Freeze for one hour, or until firm.
- Remove the frozen cookie dough balls, and place in a ziploc freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you’re ready to bake them, place them on a cookie sheet and bake as directed. There’s no need to thaw the dough before baking.
These gluten free oat flour chocolate chip cookies are delicious and easy to make! They are slightly more delicate than cookies made with a gluten free flour blend, so you will want to let them cool completely before removing them from the cookie sheet.
This is a good recipe for those who want to incorporate more oats into their baking, or those who want a very simple gluten free flour alternative.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make these cookies.
More gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
If you make these cookies, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog. I love to see what you’re baking.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Irresistible Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These oat flour chocolate chip cookies have a delicious flavor from brown sugar, chocolate chips, and oats. This is a simple and tasty gluten free cookie recipe.
Place the vegan buttery spread and sugars in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add the unsweetened applesauce and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until just combined.
Place the gluten free oat flour, sea salt, and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until combined. Turn off the mixer, and add the dairy free chocolate chips. Stir by hand.
Place the bowl of dough in the refrigerator to chill for one hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Scoop the dough into balls about an inch in diameter. Place the balls on the cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 11-13 minutes. Allow these cookies to completely cool on the cookie sheet before moving to a platter or plate.
If you would like to keep some of this dough in the freezer, simply scoop it onto a cookie sheet, place the sheet in the freezer, and keep it there for one hour. Once the cookie dough balls are frozen, just place them in a freezer bag. Cookie dough can be frozen for up to three months.
If you aren’t dairy free, go ahead and use regular dairy butter.
Nutrition facts are for one cookie.
This post was originally published in August 2018. It has been updated.