A hearty and healthy breakfast that’s quick to make, this quinoa porridge with mixed berries is a great way to start your day!
It’s the first day of summer! Are you loving it, or what? It certainly feels like summer’s here…it’s hot, sunny, and we have been eating our fill of super sweet watermelon and summer ripe berries.
Let’s see, what else is making it feel like summer? We went to the Farmer’s Market, signed up for summer reading at two libraries, Darryl built a sandbox, and we’ve been eating dinner on the patio at least twice a week. We’ve been making lemonade, I have a big bag of Sonic ice (best ice ever!) in the freezer, and I’m working on popsicle recipes for the blog. I think we’re off to a pretty good start this summer. :)
With all these busy summer days, I absolutely have to make sure that I eat a good breakfast. Otherwise I’m all out of steam by about 10:30 AM, and that’s no good. This easy quinoa porridge with mixed berries has been a favorite of mine lately. Quinoa porridge is a nice change from oatmeal – I find that it has a lighter taste, which I prefer in the summer, but it’s still very filling.
I like to top my quinoa breakfast cereal with fresh berries, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Sometimes I add a bit of shredded coconut, too, and it’s also so delicious with peaches. I recently found these maple sea salt pumpkin seeds and I can’t stop eating them – so tasty!
Quinoa Porridge with Mixed Berries.
- Place the quinoa, water, and1 cup non-dairy milk in a medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, cooking on low for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, pinch of salt, and 3/4 cup non-dairy milk.
- Spoon into bowls and top with berries, pumpkin seeds, and cacao nibs. Drizzle maple syrup on top. Add more non-dairy milk if desired.
I think you’ll love this quinoa porridge. It’s:
- quick and easy
- a good source of protein and fiber
- a tasty vegan and gluten free breakfast option
- filling, healthy, and delicious!
Have you tried quinoa for breakfast? Do you love it?