A hearty and healthy breakfast that’s quick to make, this quinoa porridge with mixed berries is a great way to start your day! This is an easy gluten free breakfast option that’s allergy friendly and tasty.
Do you change what you eat for breakfast for different seasons?
I tend to crave different things depending on the weather. In the winter, I might eat a heavier breakfast – maybe sausage and potatoes, or baked oatmeal.
But sometimes I still want a warm breakfast even in the summer. This quinoa porridge is an excellent breakfast for the warmer weather. It’s filling, but it’s not too heavy. When topped with seasonal fruit, it’s a delicious, gluten free way to start your day.
What is quinoa porridge?
Quinoa porridge is easily made by cooking quinoa with milk and adding a little bit of sweetener. You can then top your porridge with seeds, coconut, chocolate, and fresh fruit.
Is quinoa gluten free?
Yes, quinoa is gluten free. It’s technically a seed, not a grain, and it is gluten free. Some people can’t tolerate quinoa, and you can read more about that here.
What should you put on top of quinoa porridge?
Any fruit that you like – berries, apples, pineapple, or kiwi are all good choices. Toasted coconut flakes, seeds, or chocolate chips would also be delicious.
Can you make this porridge ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just add a little more non-dairy milk when you reheat it.
Can you make this porridge with any other gluten free grain?
You can also make breakfast porridge with millet, and I have a recipe for that here.
I like to top my quinoa breakfast cereal with fresh berries, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Sometimes I add a bit of shredded coconut, too, and it’s also so delicious with peaches. I recently found these maple sea salt pumpkin seeds and I can’t stop eating them – so tasty!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Quinoa Porridge with Mixed Berries.
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 3/4 cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sweetened cacao nibs
- maple syrup or other sweetener of your choice
- extra non-dairy milk if desired
- Place the quinoa, water, and1 cup non-dairy milk in a medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, cooking on low for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, pinch of salt, and 3/4 cup non-dairy milk.
- Spoon into bowls and top with berries, pumpkin seeds, and cacao nibs. Drizzle maple syrup on top. Add more non-dairy milk if desired.
Store this porridge for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Use any non-dairy milk that works for your dietary needs.
I think you’ll love this quinoa porridge. It’s:
- quick and easy
- a good source of protein and fiber
- a tasty vegan and gluten free breakfast option
- filling, healthy, and delicious!
Have you tried quinoa for breakfast? Do you love it?
This post was originally published in June 2016. It has been updated.