This potato salad recipe is super simple, yet full of flavor. The secret to this delicious salad is vinaigrette dressing made with pickle relish, mustard, and vinegar.
If you’re planning to have a barbecue or a summer potluck, cold salads are a great addition to your menu. You can make a variety of colorful and flavorful salads to suit many different dietary needs.
We love potato salad – both the classic, creamy recipe, as well as recipes that are a bit different, like this one that’s fresh and bright and doesn’t include any mayonnaise. This light salad is just right for serving alongside grilled chicken or vegan sloppy joes.
Some people don’t like mayonnaise based salads. Whether it’s the taste or the texture, they just don’t want a creamy salad dressing like that. This is the perfect potato salad recipe for those people.
The flavor of this salad is light and delicious. Even people who don’t like traditional potato salad may like this version! It’s not heavy at all, and goes well with chicken, beef, or pork.
- Potatoes – I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes in this vegan and mayo free potato salad, but redskin potatoes would work as well. Yukon Golds have a wonderful buttery flavor and a creamy texture.
- Onions – I like red onion in this recipe, but you could easily use a sweet onion or even sliced green onions.
- Mustard – Dijon mustard or grainy mustard is a great choice, but if you only have yellow mustard, that will do in a pinch!
- Vinegar – White vinegar works fine, or you can use apple cider vinegar or even red wine vinegar. You could also use lemon juice if you prefer.
If you want to make this potato salad ahead of time, you can do that! I recommend assembling the salad in the bowl, and making the dressing in a jar. Keep them separate in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Then just shake the jar and pour the dressing over the salad. Stir well and you are ready to eat!
Store leftover potato salad in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for 3-4 days. You may need to add more dressing to the leftovers, as the potatoes really absorb the dressing.
More Salad Recipes
- Potato Salad with Bacon and Shallots
- Michigan Salad with Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- Spiced Lentil Quinoa Salad
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Easy No Mayo Potato Salad.
This simple potato salad is full of flavor, and it's free of mayonnaise! If you don't like creamy potato salad, you may want to give this recipe a try. It's light and easy, and perfect for summer.
Peel the potatoes, and slice them into chunks. Place them in a pan with enough water to cover them, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook until tender (but not mushy), about 15-20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool them down.
In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and sugar.
Add the cooled potatoes, red onion, and dill pickle relish.
Stir to combine. Refrigerate until time to serve. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Store leftover potato salad in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 4 days. However, you may need to add more dressing to the leftovers, as the potatoes tend to absorb the dressing.
If you can’t have mustard, feel free to leave it out!
You can use lemon juice instead of vinegar if you prefer.