A creamy, cozy curry is the perfect winter dinner! You will love this slow cooker chickpea and potato curry. It’s an easy meal that takes just a few minutes of prep time.
Don’t you just love the slow cooker?
When I have a busy week, knowing that the slow cooker can help me get a good meal on the table makes me feel less stressed.
As food allergy parents, we all have enough to worry about, so anything I can do to reduce stress is a good thing!
This chickpea potato curry is so super easy. You just put the ingredients in the crockpot, turn it on, and walk away.
Coconut milk and spices make a delicious, creamy sauce that coats the chickpeas and potatoes. We like to serve this over Basmati or Jasmine rice, but you can serve it over any kind of rice you like.
If you can’t have rice, try serving this over cauliflower rice or just eating it plain. You won’t be disappointed.
- sweet onion
- red or green pepper
- Yukon Gold potatoes – these have the best flavor and texture for this recipe
- full fat coconut milk (the kind that comes in a can)
- curry spices – Garam Masala, curry powder
What is Garam Masala?
Garam Masala is a spice blend that’s made of cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cardamom, and a few other things. If you can’t find it at the store, you can make your own blend at home with this recipe.
This is a basic curry recipe that should work well even if modified. You can try using any of the vegetables below.
- sweet potatoes
- yellow split peas
Feel free to try your own substitutions! If you can’t have coconut milk, you can try this with the dairy free milk of your choice. The flavor will be slightly different, and the sauce may be a little thinner.
If you do choose to skip the coconut milk, you may need to thicken the sauce with a mixture of 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca starch, and 3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk. You can add this for the last hour of the cooking time.
More dairy free curry recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Chickpea and Potato Curry
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 5 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 26 ounces chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup non dairy milk I used SO Delicious coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Basmati rice for serving
- Place the olive oil, onion, and pepper in the crock pot and turn the crock pot to low. Stir to coat the vegetables with oil.
- Add the potatoes and chickpeas. Add the spices and sugar, and the full fat coconut milk, and non dairy milk. Stir and place the lid on.
- Cook on low for four hours.
- Top with more chopped red pepper or green onions if desired.
- Serve over Basmati rice, or any rice of your choice.
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. It has been updated.