Spiced lentil pepper rice is perfect for a hearty winter meal! This easy slow cooker dish is healthy and delicious.
How was your weekend? We spent our weekend around the house, and were able to get a lot accomplished, which was awesome. As I mentioned in this post, I wanted to get a lot of cleaning and organizing done, and we did! And bonus, Craigslist did come through for me again, and on Saturday Darryl went to go pick up a very large computer armoire/cabinet that we are now using to house all of our home school books and art supplies and board games. It’s huge, and in excellent shape, and was only $55! I posted a picture on Instagram because I was so excited.
Since we were so busy doing things around the house, I did utilize the awesome power of the slow cooker to make lunch for us on Friday. :) I just wanted to make something comforting but healthy, so we ate this spiced lentil pepper rice, which was perfect.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Spiced Lentil Pepper Rice
Slow cooker spiced lentil pepper rice is a delicious and hearty dish for the winter months.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 red peppers diced
- 1 cup frozen carrot coins
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup green lentils picked over and rinsed
- 32 ounces vegetable broth keep about 3/4 cup aside
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- fresh spinach leaves
- Turn the slow cooker on high. Put the olive oil, onions, peppers, and carrots inside and let them cook for a couple of minutes while you check the lentils for debris and rinse them.
- Add the rinsed lentils and the brown rice. Add the spices and most of the box of broth. Reserve about 3/4 of a cup in case you need to add a little bit more liquid near the end of the cooking time.
- Cover and cook on high for three hours.
- Serve in a bowl with fresh spinach leaves on top and more salt and pepper as desired.
If you aren’t familiar with garam masala, it’s an Indian spice blend that is very fragrant and a bit spicy. You can make your own, or buy it already made at the store.
You could probably cook this on low for 6 hours, but you do want to make sure that it doesn’t dry out, so it’s a good idea to check it periodically and add more broth or even a little water as needed. It really does not need to cook for 6 hours, as it is just rice and lentils and veggies.
How was your weekend? Any great finds? On Craigslist or otherwise?