These easy to make spiced samosa patties are dairy free and vegan! A delicious twist on a traditional Indian favorite.
Who loves samosas?! Who’s ready for a vegan, gluten free, healthier version of a samosa? I am!
I was thinking about Indian food, and how much I used to LOVE potato and pea samosas. There was a little Indian grocery store across the street from where my mom used to work that sold samosas at lunch time, and I would run over there and get a samosa or two and take them to my mom and we’d have a quick snack. Now that I don’t eat wheat, I can’t eat samosas. They are wrapped in a thick dough, and then deep fried, so I actually have not had a samosa in five years.
I decided that I would make a samosa type filling into patties, and then lightly fry them. SO GOOD! They tasted so much like the real thing, but were not encased in a heavy dough that soaked up all the grease, so they are a bit healthier. These were easy to make, and Darryl and I gobbled them right up. They basically went from the pan to our mouths. Gone. Just like that. :)
These are very tasty, a little spicy, vegan, and gluten free. You can make these samosa patties tonight…you probably have all the ingredients already!
Spiced Samosa Patties
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes baked, and skins removed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or more to taste
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a couple dashes for the gluten free flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- In a small pan, cook the peas and onions in one tablespoon of buttery spread over medium heat until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Place the baked potatoes with the skin off in a large bowl. Once the peas and onions are cooked, add them to the potatoes. There will be a little liquid in the pot, go ahead and add that to the potatoes, too.
- Add the curry powder, salt, pepper, and one tablespoon of buttery spread to the potato mixture. Use a potato masher to mash it all up.
- Place the gluten free flour and a few dashes of salt in a small bowl, set aside. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of buttery spread and the two tablespoons of canola oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Form the potato mixture into small patties and dredge them in the gluten free flour. Once the oil and buttery spread is sizzling, place a few patties in the pan. Cook until golden brown, about three minutes on each side.
- Once they are cooked, place them on the paper towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Serve warm. Makes 8 small patties.