If you’re in the mood for a creamy pasta with a flavorful sauce, you have to try this delicious dairy free sun dried tomato pasta. The sauce is simple to make with pantry ingredients, and the result is fantastic. You’ll love this easy and comforting gluten free, dairy free dinner.
It can be frustrating to know what to make during a busy week. Sometimes the quickest dishes can be a little short on flavor. Not so with this pasta recipe!
We love pasta over at our house. There’s nothing like a bowl of warm, delicious, comforting noodles for dinner. Whether it’s vegan mac and cheese, garlic spaghetti, or creamy noodles with kale, a bowl of pasta is always welcome.
This sun dried tomato pasta is easy to make but has lots of flavor from onion, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes. It’s a tasty, dairy free option for lunch or dinner. You could add grilled chicken or ground turkey to this dish if you wanted to make it more of a complete meal.
- Gluten Free Macaroni – I like the macaroni shape for this recipe, but you could use a different shape if you want, like rotini or penne. Some gluten free pasta brands to check out are Ancient Harvest, Jovial, and Tinkyada.
- Dairy Free Milk – We like So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, but any neutral tasting dairy free milk should work well here. You could try oat milk, soy milk, rice milk, or any other plant based milk you like.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – We use Earth Balance soy free vegan buttery spread (the kind in a tub), and it works well. It has a nice buttery flavor. If you have a different brand that works for your dietary needs, that should be fine.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – This ingredient is what adds a lot of the flavor to the sauce. I used tomatoes that were packed in oil. You can find these in the Italian section of the grocery store. If you can’t find a brand that’s safe for you, you could try making oven dried tomatoes.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the gluten free macaroni according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Cook the garlic and onions in the vegan buttery spread in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the gluten free flour and cook for a few minutes to remove the raw taste.
- Add the non-dairy milk one cup at a time, stirring constantly. Add the sundried tomatoes, sugar, and spices. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove the pan from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the sauce and make it smooth.
- Stir in the gluten free noodles. Enjoy!
Store leftover pasta in the refrigerator. This should stay fresh for about 3 days. If you find that the sauce has dried out somewhat, add a splash of non-dairy milk before reheating.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Sun Dried Tomato Pasta (Gluten Free, Quick and Easy).
- 8 ounces gluten free macaroni
- ⅓ cup vegan buttery spread
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 3 cups non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
- Cook the gluten free macaroni according to the package directions. While it's cooking, you can make the sauce.
- Place the vegan buttery spread, chopped onions, and minced garlic in a medium sized pan. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the gluten free flour blend, and cook for 3 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Add the non-dairy milk one cup at a time, stirring constantly.
- Add the spices, sugar, and sun dried tomatoes. Simmer the sauce for about 8 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and use an immersion blender to blend the sauce. (You could skip this step if you like, but I like to have smaller bits of tomatoes in my sauce).
- Add the cooked macaroni noodles to the sauce and stir to make sure everything is coated. Serve right away.
For more delicious allergy friendly recipes your whole family will love, grab my ebook, Allergy Free and Delicious.