Cozy up to a cup of the best vegan hot chocolate…it’s rich, chocolatey, and perfect for a winter time treat! You won’t miss the dairy with this easy, decadent, comforting recipe. This is sure to become a favorite way to warm up!
When there’s a chill in the air, you might be craving a nice warm beverage.
Tea is always a good choice, but on a snowy winter day, a cup of cocoa is just the thing to warm you up.
I LOVE hot cocoa. I don’t drink coffee, and hot cocoa was a staple item for me in the winter time. I would so look forward to hot chocolate from the coffee shop, but once I stopped eating dairy, that was no longer a part of my winter routine.
So I had to figure out how to make dairy free hot cocoa at home. Thankfully, it’s surprisingly easy! Using just sugar, cocoa powder, and non-dairy milk results in a delicious cup of vegan hot chocolate. And if you’re feeling extra festive, go ahead and add some vegan marshmallows or a candy cane thrown in just for fun.
- Non-Dairy Milk – You can make hot chocolate with your choice of non-dairy milk. I recommend going with an unsweetened dairy free milk that has a relatively neutral taste. Through the years I have made hot chocolate with almond milk, soy milk, and non unsweetened coconut milk. You could also use milks made from oats, hemp, or rice – really, any plant-based milk should work well.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – I like Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, but you can use any brand that works for your dietary needs.
- Sugar – I used organic cane sugar, but feel free to use alternative sugars like date sugar or turbinado sugar. If you prefer a liquid sweetener, like agave syrup or maple syrup, that should also be just fine.
- Marshmallows – Many marshmallows contain gelatin, which is an animal product, so they aren’t vegan. Dandies brand marshmallows are vegan, and there are a few other brands that are vegan. Read more about it here.
Step by Step Instructions
- Simply heat non-dairy milk in a pan on the stove until it’s steaming.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar, and stir well until it’s smooth and combined.
- Pour into cups, and top with vegan marshmallows or coconut whipped cream if desired.
You can make a cup of this hot chocolate in the microwave. Simply microwave a cup of non-dairy milk, then stir in a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and a tablespoon of sugar. Top with marshmallows and enjoy! I have a microwave hot chocolate recipe on my site if you want further instructions.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Vegan Hot Chocolate.
This vegan hot chocolate is rich and warming, and a wonderful treat on a chilly day!
Heat the non-dairy milk in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. You do not want to boil it.
Whisk in your cocoa powder, and then your sugar. Whisk until it is smooth without any lumps.
Pour into mugs and top with vegan marshmallows if desired.
You can use any non-dairy milk that works for your dietary needs. Try soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk, or coconut milk.
We like to use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk beverage.
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Egg Free Comfort Food.