These vegan chocolate coconut cookies are rich and delicious! These are a perfect treat for packing in lunches.
How was your weekend? Mine was okay…a little shopping, a lot of cooking, an orchestra rehearsal, and of course the usual weird/out of sorts nap/night sleep that comes with Daylight Savings Time. It always takes a few days for my boys to adjust to the time change. But how great was it to have it still be light outside at 7pm? Pretty awesome.
Okay, now on to recipe talk.
Chocolate + Peanut Butter.
Chocolate + Strawberries.
Chocolate + Coconut.
Three of my favorite flavor combinations. So good, and they never get old, right?
Today we’re dealing with combo #3 up there, these vegan chocolate coconut cookies. I really love chocolate and coconut together.
I think it goes back to my candy bar days. I loved Almond Joys and Mounds bars growing up. Oh, also coconut clusters! Now that I do more baking than candy bar eating, I love to bake with coconut. And for some reason, I especially love the unsweetened tiny coconut flakes that you get from Whole Foods. Cookies and candies look so pretty if you roll them in coconut flakes.
This is a really easy recipe, and makes very chewy and delicious chocolate coconut cookies.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cookies
These vegan chocolate coconut cookies are extra delicious with a layer of coconut on the outside!
- 2 cups spelt flour Gluten Free flour blends also work well for these cookies
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup organic canola oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon golden ground flax meal
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the ground flax seed and the water. Let sit for 5 minutes until it forms a gel.
- Combine the cocoa powder, spelt flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl, set aside.
In a separate large bowl, mix the sugar and canola oil until combined, then add the flax egg and non-dairy milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until everything is wet.
- Add the chocolate chips, stir.
- Refrigerate the dough for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put the coconut flakes in a small bowl.
- Take a small spoonful of dough and roll it into a ball. Roll it in the coconut to coat - you want a lot of coconut to stick to each ball.
- Put the coconut covered balls on the parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
adapted from this recipe.
These vegan chocolate coconut cookies are:
- chewy and chocolatey
- egg, dairy, and nut free
- very tasty – perfect for a bake sale!
A tall tower of chocolate cookies…that seems like a good way to ease into the week! :)