Classic, creamy, and delicious, this vegan potato salad is a must for your summer picnics and parties! A flavorful dressing, dill pickles, and crunchy celery and onion make this recipe a favorite.
One of my favorite things about summer is a casual get-together with friends or family. A sunny day, something tasty on the grill, and lots of delicious and easy side dishes. Those are the ingredients for a perfect summer party.
This is the kind of potato salad that my mom made for us when we were growing up. It’s creamy and flavorful, and so good on hot summer days.
There are so many different variations on potato salad, but this vegan potato salad has a little mustard, and also dill pickles for a bit more flavor.
Is potato salad vegan?
Yes, it’s easy to make potato salad suitable for a vegan diet – just choose a vegan mayonnaise. And make sure to leave out any chopped eggs or bacon of course.
That’s the only change that I had to make to adapt my mom’s recipe – just using vegan mayonnaise in place of regular mayonnaise. I prefer the Earth Balance brand, but go ahead and use your favorite brand, or if you aren’t dairy or egg free, just use your favorite regular mayo.
How to make vegan potato salad:
This potato salad is really so easy to make, and there isn’t a big difference at all if you are vegan or not.
The basic steps are the same. You’ll peel, dice, and boil some potatoes, let them cool down, and then add the chopped onions and celery, plus the dressing ingredients.
The dressing is made of vegan mayonnaise, pickles, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix together and serve!
This classic potato salad recipe is loved by vegans and non-vegans alike.
Tips for making this classic vegan potato salad:
- don’t overcook the potatoes – boil them for too long and you will have mashed potatoes
- check the potatoes as they boil – they should be tender but not falling apart
- let the potatoes cool fully before mixing the potato salad
- taste the potato salad after mixing, and add more salt, pepper, or pickle relish if desired
If you make this potato salad, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog. I love to see what you’re making!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Classic Vegan Potato Salad.
This classic vegan potato salad is creamy, flavorful, and easy to make. This is a favorite barbecue side dish!
Place the diced potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil the diced potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender. Don't overcook the potatoes - they should be tender but not mushy.
Once the potatoes are tender, drain the water out of the pan.
- Let the potatoes cool before mixing on the other ingredients. If you are in a hurry, you can rinse with a few changes of cold water to speed up the cooling process.
- Put the cooled potatoes, onions, and celery in a large bowl. Add the mayo, mustard, pickles, sugar, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. The amount of mayo will vary depending on the size of the potatoes. Add more or less if needed.
- Sprinkle with a dash of paprika before serving if desired.
You can use any type of potato you like. I prefer to use white potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator. They should be good for up to four days.
Serving size is about 3/4 cup.
This recipe was originally published in May 2014. It has been updated with new photos and new text.
If you’re looking for more vegan potato salad recipes, try these: