Vegan cornbread casserole is a wonderful addition to any holiday table!
My mom is a wonderful cook, and there are many recipes that stand out in my mind that were present at special occasions and holidays when I was growing up. For my birthday, I would always ask her to make German chocolate cake, which was rich and amazing. She also made home made French fries which were awesome and often requested by my sister. Holiday meals always consisted of ham and several comforting casseroles: broccoli cheese casserole, Polish Reuben casserole, and a really yummy cheesy cornbread casserole.
I knew that I wanted to remake the cheesy cornbread casserole, which was not an easy task, because it contained eggs, tons of dairy, and a boxed Jiffy mix. I think this recipe is pretty similar to the version that my mom made.
Now, if you had this casserole growing up, I don’t want you to think that this vegan cornbread casserole is an exact copy of that egg-filled Jiffy mix recipe. It really isn’t. The fact that I can’t do eggs and dairy in our house means that my version is not as heavy and gooey and rich. My version is lighter, and it kind of does double duty: when you serve it hot out of the oven, the cheese is melty and it is moist, and the casserole is almost like a cornbread stuffing. If you wait and let it cool completely and let the Daiya cheese firm up again, it can be sliced and served like a heavier, flavorful cornbread. It’s very tasty either way! If you are really a cheese lover, throw a handful of Daiya cheese shreds on top before baking.
This vegan cornbread casserole is:
- a tasty addition to any holiday dinner
- perfect for a party or potluck
- delicious dairy and egg free comfort food
Vegan Cornbread Casserole.
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 6 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread melted
- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 6 green onions chopped
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk or other non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2 cups Daiya shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the corn meal, white spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the coconut milk, applesauce, and melted vegan buttery spread. Mix well.
- Stir in the corn kernels, green onions, and shredded Daiya cheese.
- Pour mixture into a glass baking dish. Sprinkle more cheese on top if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes or until golden brown on top and done in middle.
- Serve hot out of the oven for a spoonable casserole, or let cool completely to slice as a cornbread.
I just love thinking about family meals and holidays we had as I was growing up. What are some of your favorite food memories?