This vegan macaroni salad is loaded with veggies and topped with a creamy, flavorful dressing. This is a must for your next barbecue or picnic!
What do you think of when you think about macaroni salad? Pale white salad with lots of mayo? Maybe a stray pea or two tossed in there?
Usually when I see macaroni salad at a party or at the store, it seems kind of light on the vegetables and heavy on the dressing, but this version is loaded with lots of fresh vegetables. All those extra peas and peppers add a lot of color to this vegan macaroni salad, making it a pretty addition to the table.
You could do different colored peppers and onions if you wanted to add even more color to this salad!
We had my parents over on Memorial Day, and I made this tasty macaroni salad recipe – it was a big hit!
This macaroni salad is perfect for all those upcoming summer barbecues. It’s easy to make, colorful, ideal for vegans or vegetarians, and gluten free (just use your favorite brand of gluten free macaroni). If you aren’t gluten free, use regular macaroni or another short pasta.
Make sure if you use gluten free pasta that you don’t overcook it. If you boil it for too long, gluten free pasta has the tendency to turn into mush.
This easy and tasty vegan macaroni salad is:
- full of fresh and colorful vegetables
- creamy and crunchy
- appealing to vegans and non-vegans
Vegan Macaroni Salad.
- 16 ounces macaroni I used gluten free macaroni
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas thawed and drained
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise I used Earth Balance Mindful Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and rinse it under cold water to cool down.
Put the vegan mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a small bowl. Stir well until combined.
Place the cooled macaroni in a large bowl. Add the all of the vegetables and pickle relish. Stir.
Add the dressing and stir until everything is coated.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What did you make this weekend? What’s your favorite dish to bring to a barbecue?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Dairy Free Buttercream Frosting. - October 14, 2017
- Easy Dairy Free Pumpkin Muffins (Gluten Free, Vegan). - October 9, 2017
- Red Pepper White Bean Dip. - October 3, 2017