This easy vegan strawberry shortcake is such a delicious summer treat! Fresh berries, light shortcakes, and dairy free ice cream make this classic dessert extra special.
Juicy strawberries, dairy free ice cream, and easy to make shortcakes – this vegan strawberry shortcake is the perfect summer dessert. You might wonder if strawberry shortcake can be made without dairy or eggs, and yes, it can! Just a few simple substitutions are needed to make a vegan version of this classic dessert.
When I was little, I was super fascinated with the recipes on the back of the Bisquick box. In addition to the pancake and waffle recipes, there were other more interesting recipes such as chicken pot pie, cheesy onion biscuits, and biscuit berry shortcakes. I liked to convince my mom and dad to try these recipes, and in fact, some of my first experiences cooking on my own involved Bisquick.
Anyway, the strawberry shortcake recipe was a hit! It was so good – not too sweet, not too heavy, it was just right.
This recipe for vegan strawberry shortcake doesn’t use a boxed mix, but it’s just as simple. Mixing the shortcakes takes just a few minutes, and while they are baking you can mix the berries with sugar and let them macerate. Add a pint of dairy free ice cream and you’re good to go!
If your berries aren’t super sweet, you may need to add more sugar – just adjust the amount to your taste.
I recommend lining your baking sheet with parchment paper – that way the shortcakes won’t stick to the pan. See how fluffy these look? That’s the result of the baking powder – it makes the shortcake dough fluff up nicely.
If you want to try this recipe with a gluten free flour, I would recommend a lighter blend, like my homemade gluten free mix.
This vegan strawberry shortcake is:
- so easy to make – your kids can probably make this with little help!
- a great way to enjoy sweet summer berries
- nut free and allergen friendly
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake.
Light and fluffy vegan shortcakes are topped with ice cream and berries for an easy summer dessert!
For the shortcakes:
- 2 cups white spelt flour all-purpose works fine, too
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla coconut milk yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk I use SO Delicious brand
- 2 teaspoons sugar for sprinkling on top
For the berries:
- 16 ounces strawberries sliced
- 3 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 pint non-dairy ice cream of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the spelt flour, 3 Tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Add the vegan butter spread and use a pastry blender to cut it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the yogurt and coconut milk and mix until just combined.
Use a 1/4 cup measure to drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Shape the dough into round biscuits. You should have 8 biscuits. Sprinkle the two teaspoons of sugar on the tops of the biscuits.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes until biscuits are lightly golden brown.
- While the biscuits bake, put the strawberries and 3 Tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl and stir so that all the strawberries are covered with sugar.
- Once the biscuits are done, let them cool on the cookie sheet.
- To assemble shortcakes, slice them in half and then put a scoop of ice cream in the middle. Pour strawberries and juice on top. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published in June 2015. It has been updated with new photos and new text.
Shortcakes inspired by this recipe.