This wild rice stuffing is full of flavor and texture from salami, mushrooms, and apples. This is a delicious addition to your holiday meal!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PairsWellWithHolidays#CollectiveBias
Wild rice stuffing with mushrooms, apples, and salami…the perfect addition to your gluten free Thanksgiving table!
Holidays can certainly be a challenge when you have special dietary needs, can’t they? Whether you’re dairy free, gluten free, nut free, or something else, it can be tough to find recipes that fit your needs.
When I first tried to have a gluten free Thanksgiving, the major stumbling block was the stuffing.
I was used to having a bread based stuffing, (as was Darryl). My mom makes awesome stuffing, and of course she didn’t want us to miss out, so she made her stuffing with gluten free bread. Since gluten free bread is SO pricey, it was probably the most expensive stuffing ever made. :)
I wanted to come up with an alternative to bread stuffing for those who need to have a gluten free recipe on hand for the holidays. Since rice is readily available and inexpensive, I thought that would be a good starting point.
A wild rice stuffing is so versatile – you can add so many different ingredients to make it unique and flavorful. I decided to make this version with onions, garlic, mushrooms, apples, and (secret ingredient alert!) salami.
I know that salami might not be the most traditional stuffing ingredient, but I was so pleased with the way Creminelli Whiskey Salami paired with the flavors in this recipe. The salty salami complemented the sweet apples along with the mushrooms and onions. Creminelli salami is gluten free and made with all natural and organic ingredients. It’s also free of synthetic nitrates and preservatives.
Using salami in this wild rice stuffing rather than sausage saved me some time in the kitchen. I didn’t have to cook the salami – I simply added it near the end of the cooking process. There was no time spent cooking sausage and then cleaning an extra pan. I’ll take all the time savers I can get during the holidays!
Wild Rice Stuffing with Salami, Mushrooms, and Apples.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- ½ cup wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅓ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 apple diced
- 5 ounces Creminelli Whiskey Salami casing removed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Put the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until the onion is soft, about 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the brown rice, wild rice, broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Dice the Creminelli Whiskey Salami into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, then add the diced apple and Creminelli Whiskey Salami. Stir and cook over low heat for about 15 more minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the fresh parsley. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve alongside your turkey for your holiday meal.
I found Creminelli Salami in the fancy cheese area at my local Whole Foods.
Creminelli Salami pairs well with just about everything! What would you pair it with this holiday season?