A fantastically moist and delicious zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting. The perfect way to use up your summer produce!
How’s it going with your garden? Are you overrun with tomatoes? Cucumbers? Zucchini?
If you’re stuck with a lot of zucchini, never fear, you can always make this cake…this amazingly moist and flavorful zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting. It doesn’t get any better than that, does it?
We actually are not overrun with zucchini this year – I’ve been getting them at the Farmer’s Market. But our tomato situation is way out of hand! We forgot to pick them for a couple of days and it was like they exploded. We had tons of tomatoes. We definitely need to make some homemade tomato sauce or maybe even dry them in the oven again.
Thankfully this is not a tomato cake. (Is that a thing? I hope not).
We had a couple of occasions that I needed to make a cake for a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to make this twice. I did it once with white spelt flour, and once with a gluten free flour blend. It turned out beautifully both times. I used slightly less zucchini when I made it with the gluten free flour because I could tell the batter was going to be too wet.
If you need this to be gluten free, use gluten free flour, like King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour. Spelt flour is NOT gluten free.
We all loved this cake…it didn’t last long at all. I used half coconut sugar and half organic cane sugar, but you could use all coconut sugar if you prefer, the cake will just be a little bit darker in color.
Zucchini Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 2 cups white spelt flour can use all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar brown sugar is okay
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1.5 small zucchini, if using GF flour, use 3/4 cup zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅜ cup water
For the frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces Daiya brand vegan cream cheese softened
- 4 Tablespoons buttery spread softened
- cinnamon sugar on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the grated zucchini, unsweetened applesauce, canola oil, water, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Stir well.
- Add the sugars and stir to combine. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix well.
- Pour batter in a 9x9 square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-3 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely, then make frosting.
- In a mixing bowl whip the Daiya cream cheese and the vegan buttery spread. Sift in the powdered sugar. Mix until very smooth.
- Frost the cooled cake and then dust with cinnamon sugar. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
You need to make this zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s:
- moist and flavorful
- a delicious way to sneak some zucchini in your diet
- the perfect dessert for summertime
- a great dessert to take to a potluck!
If you’re not dairy free, of course you can use regular butter and cream cheese. I was very happy with how this cream cheese frosting turned out with the Daiya brand cream cheese – I don’t think people even noticed it was dairy free. And if frosting isn’t your cup of tea, this zucchini cake is also very good plain.
I hope you have a reason to make this cake sometime soon! I know you’ll love it.