These warmer days have made me crave more salad. That and the idea that at some point this summer I will have to put on a swimsuit. ;)
Usually when I make salad dressing it is a vinaigrette, or a honey mustard dressing, but this time I was in the mood for something creamy. I do miss ranch dressing since going dairy free, so I decided I would make a flavorful, creamy dressing with tons of flavor and no dairy. The best way to get that creaminess without the dairy? An avocado, of course!
This salad with this combination of veggies has been my lunch several times lately. Of course you can customize the vegetables to suit your taste. I actually prefer to grate my carrots, but on this particular day, someone (I’m looking at you, Darryl!) hid my grater. :) If you want to add more protein, you could include some nuts or some garbanzo beans as well.
The dressing has lots of dill flavor, and also a little bit of a kick from the raw garlic. I love to add raw garlic to dressings because it has so many health benefits. If you are not used to the spiciness of raw garlic, you may want to use it sparingly at first.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- For the dressing:
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 cup almond milk
- Prepare the dressing: In a blender, blend the avocado, salt, dill, garlic, and almond milk. Set aside.
- Divide the salad greens among two bowls, and top with carrots, peppers, cucumbers, and sunflower seeds.
- Serve with the dressing.
- Makes 2 large entree sized salads.
Enjoy! And have a great weekend…what do you have planned? I have rehearsals and a concert, and we are also going to go to Day Out With Thomas! My boys are very excited about that.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016