Texas caviar – a tasty and easy dip filled with all kinds of colorful veggies and beans! An added kick comes from spicy tomatoes and Italian dressing.
Okay…have you had Texas Caviar before? I know if you look on Pinterest there are a million ways to make it.
But this is the way that I’ve always made it…this recipe is from the Dark Ages. From a time before Pinterest. (Shudder! How did we live?!)
I first tried this addictive dip at a girl’s night out/craft sale type event about ten years ago. After parking myself by the bowl and eating half of it, I remembered my manners and decided to ask for the recipe rather than just wolf it all down on the spot. After the woman who made it wrote out the recipe, I remember looking at the card and not believing how simple the ingredient list was.
Texas caviar dip is so tasty, it’s hard to believe that it’s really just a few easy ingredients that you throw into a bowl and mix together.
I think that the flavor really improves after a couple of hours in the fridge, but you can just whip this up right before guests arrive as well. It’s delicious no matter what. We love to use the Fritos Scoops for dipping, but you could use regular tortilla chips if you want. And I’ve been know to eat it with a spoon, too! It makes a great little side salad. :)
You can control the spice level by choosing either mild or spicy Rotel Tomatoes. We generally stick with mild, especially if children are going to eat this dip. We use the Hidden Valley Italian dressing, but if you have a different brand you prefer, then by all means, use that!
You could also make your own Italian dressing and use that.
This Texas Caviar recipe is:
- a crowd pleaser!
- allergy friendly
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 15 ounce can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes mild or hot, your choice, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels drained
- 1 1/4 cups zesty Italian dressing be sure to check the label for your dietary and allergy needs
- corn chips for serving
- Place all the ingredients (minus the corn chips) into a large bowl and stir well.
- Refrigerate for about two hours before serving.
Have you made this dip before? What will you be serving on Super Bowl Sunday?