Do you have a party coming up? Try this Texas caviar – a tasty and easy dip filled with all kinds of colorful veggies and beans! This flavorful dish has an added kick comes from spicy tomatoes and Italian dressing.
Have you ever tried Texas caviar, or cowboy caviar as it’s sometimes called?
It’s a popular appetizer, even here in the Midwest. A mix of beans, tomatoes, spicy dressing, and lots of fresh vegetables, Texas caviar is super tasty. It’s hard to believe that it’s really just a few easy ingredients that you throw into a bowl and mix together.
I think that the flavor really improves after a couple of hours in the fridge, but you can just whip this up right before guests arrive as well. It’s delicious no matter what. We love to serve this with corn chip scoops, but you could use regular tortilla chips if you want. And I’ve been know to eat it with a spoon, too! It makes a great little side salad.
If you’re looking for more appetizer recipes, this fresh fruit salsa is delicious, and this vegan spinach dip is always a hit at parties, too.
- Canned Tomatoes – You can control the spice level by choosing either mild or spicy Rotel Tomatoes. We generally stick with mild, especially if children are going to eat this dip. You can use any brand of canned tomatoes with green chiles that works for your diet.
- Italian Dressing – Italian dressing adds a lot of flavor to this dip. There are many brands to choose from – please read the labels and find a brand that works for you. You could also make your own Italian dressing and use that.
- Beans – Use canned black beans and canned black eyed peas to make this dip quickly and easily.
- Corn – I prefer canned corn for this recipe, but you could use frozen corn. Just thaw and drain it before adding to the dip.
- Peppers – This recipe calls for red and green bell peppers, but you could use any colors of sweet peppers that you like.
- Corn Chips – You can use corn chips like Fritos, or you can use tortilla chips or even potato chips to scoop up this dip!
Step by Step Instructions
- Finely chop the peppers, onions, and celery and place it in a large bowl.
- Drain the black eyed peas, black beans, tomatoes, and corn, and add them to the bowl.
- Add the Italian dressing, and mix everything together. Refrigerate for two hours before serving. Enjoy!
Serve this cowboy caviar with:
- The chips of your choice – try tortilla chips, potato chips, or pita chips.
- Turkey Tacos – this would be delicious served in the tacos or on the side.
- These Southwestern Sweet Potato Bowls – this dip would be a great addition to this vegan dish.
- Grilled chicken or grilled fish – spoon this right over the top of your favorite grilled item.
Store leftover dip in the refrigerator. It should stay fresh for about 5 days.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Easiest Texas Caviar.
- ½ cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 15 ounces canned black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces Rotel tomatoes mild or hot, your choice, drained (you can use any brand of tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 cup corn kernels drained
- 1 ¼ cups zesty Italian dressing be sure to check the label for your dietary and allergy needs
- corn chips for serving
- Place all the ingredients (minus the corn chips) into a large bowl and stir well.
- Refrigerate for about two hours before serving.
- Serve with your favorite corn chips.