It’s the 21st of the month again, and that means that it’s time for another Recipe Redux! This month’s theme is DIY Kitchen Essentials. We were asked what items we now make from scratch that we used to buy? There are a lot of things that I make at home now – spice rubs, popsicles, granola, snack bars, and more, but for this redux I thought I’d share my super simple recipe for Italian vinaigrette.
I make a lot of my salad dressings now, mostly because it’s so easy, it’s cheaper than buying bottled dressing, and I can control what goes in it. You can certainly find gluten free/dairy free/allergy free dressings in the store, but they are often more expensive and they do usually have some kind of additives or preservatives in because they need to have a long shelf life.
Making salad dressing is so easy and I think that the flavor is really much better than the store bought varieties. This vinaigrette requires just six ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Just put them in a jar with a lid, give it a good shake, and boom! Tasty salad dressing.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- optional: pinch or two of red pepper flakes (for a zesty version)
- Pour all the ingredients in the jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Put the lid on and give it a good shake for a minute to combine the ingredients.
- Enjoy on salads or sandwiches.
This vinaigrette is perfect on simple or fancy salads, and is also really good on sandwiches or subs. You can also experiment with the type of vinegar you use and the amount of spices. Once you start making your own dressings, it’s kind of addictive – you’ll want to keep coming up with new flavor combinations!
Be sure to check out the other DIY Kitchen Essential recipes below!
Linking up to Allergy Free Wednesdays and some of these parties.
subscribe // my ebook // bloglovin // pinterest // facebook // twitter // shop
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017