Vegan lemon cupcakes with blackberry frosting are a light and delicious treat that’s perfect for summer!
Sometimes I make a recipe, and then I put it in my drafts folder, and then I forget to post it. That’s what happened here. And I’m kicking myself, because these cupcakes were so light and fluffy, and the frosting was so pretty and sweet, that I wish I had remembered to share it sooner! These vegan cupcakes are so easy to make, and so delicious.
Oh well, we aren’t even really into berry season yet, so there’s plenty of chances to make these with summer ripe blackberries.
Usually when a cupcake is required, the boys will insist on chocolate with chocolate frosting. Sometimes they stray from that and want yellow cake with chocolate frosting. But this time I really wanted something lighter, and I was just in the mood for vanilla frosting. But I decided to fancy it up a bit by dyeing the frosting with a little blackberry juice. I love the shade of pink that a few berries provided!
Vegan Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Mix the oil and sugar with a mixer on medium speed. Add the lemon juice and water and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Whisk together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 17-20 minutes until the cupcake tops are lightly golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- Make the frosting: Rinse the six blackberries, then place in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl. Use the back of a spoon to press the juice out of the berries, letting it fall into the bowl.
- Cream the vegan buttery spread and blackberry juice, and slowly add the powdered sugar. Alternate adding the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk until you get the consistency you want.
- Pipe or spread frosting on cooled cupcakes. Top each frosted cupcake with one blackberry. Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator.
Cupcake batter adapted from this recipe.