Cheesy quinoa with green beans is a simple meal that’s satisfying and filling. Plus it’s gluten free and dairy free, too!
This is one of those recipes that I wonder about…is it too easy? Too simple to post?
But then I decided, no, this cheesy quinoa with green beans is really too good not to share. So I’m sharing it.
We eat a lot of quinoa over here (as you already know). I love it in salads, in chili, and even for breakfast. And sometimes I add non-dairy cheese and milk and eat it as a healthier version of macaroni and cheese. If I add vegetables as well, it’s even better. Then it becomes a filling lunch or a satisfying side dish for dinner.
It’s funny to me how quinoa went from being so uncommon to becoming a pretty standard item in people’s pantries. I remember when I first started eating quinoa (college, I think) and I thought it was pronounced kwin-oh-ah. Ah, memories. :)
This cheesy quinoa is quick to assemble, delicious, and is very kid friendly as well. It’s the perfect side dish for a busy night. If you aren’t dairy free, just go ahead and use regular cheddar cheese and dairy milk.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Cheesy Quinoa with Green Beans.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk I use SO Delicious brand
- 1 1/2 cups green beans fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Place the quinoa, chopped onion, and two cups of water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the little ring separates from the quinoa. Fluff with a fork.
- Add the olive oil, Daiya cheese, and coconut milk to the pot. Cook over medium low heat until the cheese is melted.
- If you are using frozen green beans, put them in a colander and run them under water until they thaw out somewhat. Drain and add to the quinoa. Stir and continue to cook until everything is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper and serve immediately.