Thick chocolate chip cookies are studded with fresh cranberries and walnuts. These are just right for a holiday cookie party!
I’m sitting here in the dark, with the Christmas tree lights on, and it’s just so cozy and nice. I think that’s my favorite part about Christmas time – you can put Christmas lights anywhere, on anything, and it instantly makes it seem warm and cozy and festive.
I’m trying hard to be quieter this Christmas, and enjoy the season rather than feel rushed through it. I have some gigs to play, but I haven’t overbooked myself, I have a good start on my shopping, and I am trying to make sure that we have quality time together as a family rather than running here and there. It’s so frustrating to have way too many things to do and then to wake up on Christmas morning and be an exhausted mess.
One thing that we have already made time for is baking. My older son loves to help out in the kitchen, so we’ve been baking up a storm lately! I’m working on a gingerbread recipe that’s coming soon, and we’ve had a lot of fun making gingerbread men and eating them.
Now, on to the cookie of the day!
To be honest, I have not done a lot of baking with fresh cranberries. I’ve put them in a crisp, and that was delicious, but I haven’t added them to much else. I decided to throw some into a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and I was surprised at how much I liked them! They have a bit of tartness to them, but I’ve added a lot of chocolate chips to balance that out. I think my favorite part is the pop of bright pink peeking out here and there. It makes these cookies extra festive.
- ⅔ cup vegan buttery spread, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill Biscuit and Baking Mix)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks
- 1⅓ cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the vegan buttery spread, applesauce, vanilla, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in the cranberries, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
- Spoon tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-14 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
Do you do much baking with fresh cranberries? What’s your favorite cranberry recipe?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016