Thick and chewy cranberry chocolate chip cookies are delicious and gluten free. These are just right for a holiday cookie party!
I’m sitting here in the dark, with the Christmas tree lights on, and it’s just so cozy and nice. I think that’s my favorite part about Christmas time – you can put Christmas lights anywhere, on anything, and it instantly makes it seem warm and cozy and festive.
I’m trying hard to be quieter this Christmas, and enjoy the season rather than feel rushed through it. I have some gigs to play, but I haven’t overbooked myself, I have a good start on my shopping, and I am trying to make sure that we have quality time together as a family rather than running here and there. It’s so frustrating to have way too many things to do and then to wake up on Christmas morning and be an exhausted mess.
One thing that we have already made time for is baking. My older son loves to help out in the kitchen, so we’ve been baking up a storm lately! I’m working on a gingerbread recipe that’s coming soon, and we’ve had a lot of fun making gingerbread men and eating them.
Now, on to the cookie of the day – these cranberry chocolate chip cookies with walnuts.
To be honest, I’ve not done a lot of baking with fresh cranberries. I’ve put them in a crisp, and that was delicious, but I haven’t added them to much else. I decided to throw some into these cranberry chocolate chip cookies, and I was surprised at how much I liked them! They have a bit of tartness to them, but I’ve added a lot of chocolate chips to balance that out. I think my favorite part is the pop of bright pink peeking out here and there. It makes these cookies extra festive.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies with Walnuts.
- ⅔ cup vegan buttery spread softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 ⅓ cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the vegan buttery spread, applesauce, vanilla, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add the gluten free flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in the cranberries, chocolate chips, and walnuts.
- Spoon tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-14 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
These cranberry chocolate chip cookies are:
- thick and chewy
- gluten free, dairy free, and vegan
- customizable – feel free to leave out the nuts and use seeds instead, or use dairy free chocolate chunks instead of chips
Do you do much baking with fresh cranberries? What’s your favorite cranberry recipe?
If you’re in need of more baking inspiration, try these gluten free chocolate crinkle cookies.