These egg free chocolate chip cookies are thick, chewy, and loaded with chocolate chips. This recipe is a family favorite!
There’s nothing like a thick, chewy chocolate chip cookie and a cold glass of milk, is there?
Of all the cookies, chocolate chip is definitely the favorite in this household. If I try to make something a little different, like chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, or chocolate chip coconut cookies, the response is, “Mmm, these are good, but could you please make regular chocolate chip cookies?
My boys know what they like, I guess. :)
I’ve had a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe in my repertoire for a while, and although it’s really good, I wanted to see if I could improve upon it and make a thicker cookie with a ton of chocolate chips. Kind of like what you would find in a bakery.
But it’s much nicer to make these cookies at home and be able to enjoy them as soon as they come out of the oven all warm and chocolatey.
Did you know that it’s possible to make a delicious and thick egg free chocolate chip cookie? It’s true! With just a few substitutions, you can make these egg free chocolate chip cookies, and no one will ever guess that they don’t contain eggs. They’re that good.
I’ve used three types of sugar here for a richer flavor, and two types of chocolate chips so that every bite is loaded with chocolate. If you are not vegan, go ahead and use regular butter, and if you are not gluten free, all-purpose flour will work just fine in this recipe.
These egg free chocolate chip cookies are:
- thick and chewy
- loaded with chocolate chips
- perfect for sharing
- delicious with a glass of cold milk
- ⅔ cup vegan buttery spread
- ⅜ cup light brown sugar
- ⅜ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-To-1 Baking Flour)*
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 1½ cups dairy free dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Place the vegan buttery spread and sugars in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add the applesauce and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Put the gluten free flour blend, sea salt, baking soda, and cornstarch in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Turn mixer off and stir in the mini chocolate chips and the dark chocolate chunks or chips.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into balls about 2" in diameter. Place the balls on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly with your hand.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-17 minutes. They make look slightly underdone in the middle, and that's okay.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely.
So there you go…I’ve got your afterschool cookies and milk situation covered for you! You may want to make a batch or two of these before school starts, you know, for testing purposes. :)