This chocolate cake is so good, you would never guess that it’s vegan! This vegan cake is moist and delicious, and the warm chocolate sauce will make chocolate lovers sing!
Chocolate cake is always a good dessert to make. It’s perfect for a simple dinner party as well as a birthday celebration. This vegan chocolate cake is a good recipe to have around when you don’t have eggs on hand.
And who knows…if you have a friend who is vegan, or has an egg allergy, it’s always nice to know you can make something that everyone can eat. Until we had to cut out eggs, I had no idea that you could bake delicious cakes and cookies without eggs. But you can, and it’s really easy to do.
This chocolate cake with chocolate sauce is rich,moist, and delicious. The texture of the cake is fluffy and tender. A very simple but decadent chocolate sauce adds an added level of richness to this dairy free dessert.
- Flour – I like to use white spelt flour, which is similar to all-purpose flour. All-purpose flour will also work well here. If you need this to be gluten free, that should be fine. Use a cup for cup gluten free flour blend for best results.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I like to use melted Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread in this cake, but you could also use canola oil or coconut oil.
- Sugar – Use your favorite type of sugar – turbinado sugar, coconut sugar, or cane sugar will all work just fine.
- Sunbutter – Sunbutter adds a deliciously nutty flavor to the warm chocolate sauce. If you can have peanuts, feel free to use peanut butter.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the vegan buttery spread, water, vinegar, vanilla, and chocolate chips and stir well.
2. Pour the cake batter into an 8 inch cake pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 27-32 minutes. Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
4. Place the dairy free chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave until melted. Stir in the sunbutter.
5. Drizzle warm chocolate sauce over slices of the cake before serving.
- You can choose to frost this cake with vanilla buttercream or chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Serve with fresh berries and ice cream.
- Sprinkle dairy free white chocolate chips over the cake before baking.
- Drizzle dairy free caramel sauce on the cake instead of chocolate sauce.
Store leftover chocolate sauce in the refrigerator. Store leftover cake at room temperature tightly covered with plastic wrap. It should stay fresh for about 5 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Warm Chocolate Sauce.
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups white spelt flour all-purpose flour will work in this recipe, or gluten free flour
- 1 cup turbinado sugar or cane sugar, or coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup melted vegan buttery spread or coconut oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over both sides. (You can skip this step if you like, but if you want to make it easy to cut slices and remove them, the parchment can help).
- Place the white spelt flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the melted vegan buttery spread, vanilla, vinegar, and water, and stir well. Stir in the chocolate chips
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 27-32 minutes. (Gluten free flour may take longer). Let the cake cool fully before cutting into squares.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 45 seconds and stir. Then microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth. Add the sunbutter and stir.
- Drizzle the warm chocolate sauce over individual cake pieces prior to serving.