I have been so inspired by all the cute red, white and blue desserts out there! So festive and fun! I decided I wanted to try something patriotic and sweet, but I don’t have a lot of time right now, so I just did some colorful ice cream cones. Ice cream is the All-American treat, right?
And for some reason, in the summertime, it seems like I put more effort into the main parts of the meal…whatever we are going to grill, and then the salads: potato salad, tossed salad, fruit salad, etc. By the time I start thinking about dessert, I don’t have a ton of energy left, and I certainly am not going to turn on a hot oven, so ice cream desserts are where it’s at! :)
These were so easy, and really tasty. Try them, you won’t be disappointed!
- chocolate chips
- vanilla ice cream
- blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- ice cream cones
- red sprinkles
- Line a cookie sheet or plate with waxed paper. Pour some sprinkles in a bowl.
- Put some chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl (to do 6-8 cones, I would start with about ¾ cup). Microwave for one minute, then stir, and microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth and melted.
- Take each cone and dip into the melted chocolate, and then into the red sprinkles. Place the dipped cone onto the waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Repeat with each cone. Place the cones on the cookie sheet in the freezer to harden up for a few minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, simply scoop some vanilla ice cream into the cones, and top each one with a few blueberries.
You can use gluten free ice cream cones if needed, and dairy free chocolate chips and dairy free ice cream as well. This can be customized to fit your family’s dietary needs! :)
We’re taking it easy this weekend, just grilling, maybe going to a parade, and visiting with our families. What do you have planned? Do you have any patriotic desserts on the menu?