Warm up this fall with a bowl full of easy lentil potato curry! It’s hearty, filling, and so warming! Your family will love this tasty, allergy friendly dish.
Are you ready for fall and winter comfort food? Has it cooled down where you live?
All of a sudden, it is very chilly here in Michigan, and I am ready for some warming soups and curries. We made this easy lentil potato curry this weekend, and it was a delicious way to welcome the colder weather.
This is a great curry recipe to make for your family, because it isn’t super spicy, and it’s very easy to adjust the spice level. If you want to make it even milder, you can reduce the amount of curry powder.
If potatoes don’t work for your diet, you can leave them out, or add something else in their place. Try cubed butternut squash or eggplant.
How to make potato lentil curry:
- Cook the onions until tender, then add the lentils, potatoes, and 4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, coconut cream, spices, and spinach. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve over your choice of rice.
Can I use any type of lentil in this curry recipe?
I used green lentils for this recipe, because they are widely available, and easy to find at a regular grocery store. You could use French green lentils or black lentils if you prefer.
Red lentils take very little time to cook, so I don’t think they are the best choice for this recipe. They will be done before the potatoes will be tender, and the red lentils would turn to mush.
What is the difference between coconut milk and coconut cream?
Coconut cream is much thicker than coconut milk. Each can of coconut milk does have coconut cream in it, however. It’s the thick white stuff that separates from the coconut water.
If you only have canned coconut milk, you can use that. Just refrigerate it for at least 4 hours so you can drain off the coconut water before using.
Creamed coconut is sweetened, and you don’t want that for this recipe. Read more about the difference between these products here.
What can I use instead of spinach in this curry recipe?
You can use kale, or you can even use green peas or broccoli if you like. Be creative! You really can’t mess up this easy recipe.
What to serve with this lentil potato curry:
- a green salad
- gluten free bread or gluten free crackers
- curry stuffed mushrooms
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Lentil Potato Curry (Vegan, Gluten Free).
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 small Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup green lentils picked over and rinsed
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 14 ounces coconut cream
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 3 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- Jasmine rice for serving or Brown Basmati Rice You could also use cauliflower rice for a grain free option
- Place the chopped onion and the olive oil in a large pot and cook over medium heat.
- While the onion softens, peel and chop the potatoes, then add to the pot.
- Pick over and rinse the lentils, then add to the pot. Add 4 cups of water and raise the heat to high.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the tomato sauce, coconut cream, sugar, frozen spinach, and spices. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer again.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add more salt if desired.
- Serve over your choice of rice - Basmati, brown, cauliflower rice, or even quinoa.
If you’re looking for more dinner inspiration, check out these dairy free gluten free dinner recipes.