Gluten free blueberry lemon bars are a great dessert to make with fresh summer blueberries.
Who’s loving blueberries right now? Anyone else besides me?
These gluten free blueberry lemon bars are a really good recipe to make when you don’t mind turning the oven on…so probably not this week. :) I love the flavor of the blueberries with the lemon – yum!
The buttery, lemony shortbread crust on these is so delicious! These are a real treat – perfect for a party or church potluck. I really love the way the lemon zest and juice gives these bars a nice bright flavor.
I think you’ll love these bars. They are rich, buttery, and lemony, and perfect for enjoying with a cup of coffee or tea. This is a wonderful dessert for summertime.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend and it worked very well for these bars. You could probably use a different brand if that’s your preference.
- Blueberries – I used fresh blueberries for this recipe. If you only have frozen blueberries available, I think they would work as well.
- Butter – This recipe uses real butter, but if you are dairy free, go ahead and use vegan buttery spread.
- If you wanted to make these gluten free blueberry lemon bars without dairy, you could easily use vegan buttery spread instead of butter, and non-dairy yogurt or sour cream in place of the dairy sour cream.
- You could also use all-purpose flour in an equal amount if you are not on a gluten free diet.
- If you would prefer a different berry, feel free to try it! I think these would work well with either raspberries or blackberries.
Step by Step Instructions
- Rinse and drain the blueberries.
- Mix the lemon sugar, gluten free flour, and butter together. Press half of this mixture into a 9×13 pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.
- Make the filling: Whisk the eggs, then add the sour cream, lemon juice, flour, sugar, and berries.
- Pour the filling on top of the pre-baked crust, then top with the remaining crust mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.
Store these bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Blueberry Lemon Bars.
For the crust and topping:
For the berry filling:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup light sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend
- 4 cups blueberries rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 pan and line with parchment paper.
- Zest two lemons. Pour 1 ½ cups of sugar into a bowl and work the lemon zest into the sugar with the back of a spoon.
- Combine lemon sugar, gluten free flour, salt and butter and mix on medium speed until forms large crumbs.
- Set aside 1 ½ cups of the crust mixture to use as the topping. Place the rest of the mixture into the bottom of the pan and press flat.
- Bake crust for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown – this may take longer with your gluten free flour blend. Let crust cool while you prepare the filling.
- For filling: whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, sour cream, lemon juice, flour, and salt. Add berries and pour the mixture evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle reserved topping over filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned.
This recipe for gluten free blueberry lemon bars is a favorite that I adapted from Summer Harms.