I’ve been trying to get in a better routine in the morning over here. Sometimes if we have a rough night (Baby Bee’s still teething off and on), I have a tendency to stumble around sleepily for about an hour and just eat cereal for breakfast. Not that cereal is the worst thing in the world – it’s not like I’m eating Lucky Charms or something. (By the way, who else ate the marshmallows ONLY from that stuff when they were growing up? Just me?)
Anyway, I find that if I get up and exercise first (right now I am at about a 50% success rate with that), I feel better and have more energy. And if I exercise and drink a smoothie, I find that I have even more energy, and I seem to stay fuller than when I eat a quick bowl of cereal. (I know, duh, right?) So I’m trying to be good and stick to this routine. My favorite smoothie right now is definitely tropical in flavor. I love to get the bags of frozen fruit from Trader Joe’s, and adding some coconut flakes to this makes it seem more like an island treat than breakfast. :)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks
- ¾ cup orange juice or pineapple juice (or water in a pinch!)
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- If you don't have a super strong blender, you might want to put the frozen fruits in your blender and let them sit for about ten minutes so they thaw a little bit.
- Add the liquid and the coconut and blend on high until smooth. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Enjoy immediately.
Sometimes I add about a tablespoon of chia seeds as well, for some extra protein and calcium.
Do you want to know a secret? I have never had a green smoothie. I know, isn’t that shocking?! I just can’t deal with greens and fruit at the same time blended up. I want to like them, but I’m afraid it’s going to taste like, oh, I don’t know, mushy spinach or something. So tell me what your favorite green smoothie recipe is in the comments, and maybe I can get it together and try it out. :)