These vegan applesauce muffins are light and tender, and perfectly spiced for fall! No eggs or dairy in this easy recipe, and the result is fantastic. Kids love these for an easy breakfast or an after school snack.
When there’s a little fall chill in the air, I start to think about baking. And if it’s September, I’m usually in the mood for baking with apples.
These muffins are very easy to make, and they have the perfect light and fluffy texture. They’re perfectly spiced with cinnamon, and go so well with a cup of tea or a glass of non-dairy milk.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I use Earth Balance Soy Free vegan buttery spread. You can use a different brand if you like, or you can use canola oil or coconut oil. If you aren’t dairy free, you can use regular butter.
- Sugar – I used organic cane sugar and light brown sugar. You could use coconut sugar or date sugar if you prefer. I have not tried this recipe with a sugar substitute.
- Flour – I like white spelt flour in this recipe, but all-purpose flour would also work well. You can also include up to a half cup of oat flour or almond flour if that works for your dietary needs.
- Applesauce – Unsweetened applesauce keeps these muffins moist and fluffy. If you’re out of applesauce, try an equal amount of pumpkin puree.
Step by Step Instructions
- Melt the vegan buttery spread in a large bowl.
- Stir in the applesauce, vanilla, organic cane sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the flour, flax seed meal, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Add the water.
- Stir well.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tin that has been lined with parchment paper liners. Fill each cup about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown.
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 4 days. You can also store these in the freezer in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- Add some shredded or finely chopped apple to the batter before baking.
- Top each muffin with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
- If you can have nuts or seeds, try adding some walnuts or sunflower seeds to the batter.
- Make a simple glaze with powdered sugar and a little water and drizzle it over the top of the muffins.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The Best Vegan Applesauce Muffins.
- ¼ cup vegan buttery spread or organic canola oil or coconut oil
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup water or any non-dairy milk
- Place the vegan buttery spread in a large, microwave safe bowl, and microwave for about 25 seconds, or until melted.
- Add the cane sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add the flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to the bowl. Add the water and stir well.
- Fill the muffin cups two thirds full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before moving them.