We LOVE Indian food at our house. Love it.
We especially love it when we are buried under a foot of snow. Yes, we are really snowbound here right now. We had a huge blizzard on Sunday, and wound up with a foot of snow – the most our area has seen in a single snowfall since before I was born!
It’s also been super cold yesterday and today, so naturally all I want to do is keep really warm and have something warm and spicy simmering on the stove. This curry is so easy, and it’s so good. Darryl loves all Indian food, but this particular dish is one of Darryl’s favorites. There’s something about the rich, full fat coconut milk and the flavorful yellow potatoes that makes it melt in your mouth. It’s perfect for those nights when you are craving Indian food but don’t want to drive on the snowy roads to go get some.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup refrigerated original coconut milk (I used SO Delicious brand)
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Basmati rice for serving
- In a large pot, cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat for about five minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes and spices and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the can of full fat coconut milk, ½ cup of refrigerated coconut milk, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stir. Cover pan and cook until spinach is heated through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve over rice.
Just a note about canned coconut milk: I find that not all canned coconut milks are created equal. The best versions have a really thick layer of coconut cream on top, and not as much coconut water. I prefer Thai Kitchen brand, and the Whole Foods store brand 365 Organic Coconut Milk.
Were you hit by any of these recent winter storms? Are you buried under snow, too?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Simply Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. - February 23, 2017
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017