Whether you’re lactose intolerant, have a dairy allergy, or are vegan, dairy free desserts can be just as tasty as the original. Find some of the most delicious dairy free dessert recipes here.
What’s your favorite kind of dessert? Ice cream? Chocolate pudding?
What about rich chocolate cake with a creamy fudge frosting?
If you’re on a dairy free diet, you may be missing out on those things, but you don’t have to! There are lots of wonderful dairy substitutes available that work very well in sweet recipes. And there are so many delicious dairy free dessert recipes to choose from – cakes, cookies, puddings, candies, and more. I’ve gathered a few of them here so that you can plan ahead for your next party or special occasion.
Whether you’re just looking for something new to satisfy your sweet tooth, or if you’re getting ready for a birthday party, there are some decadent dairy free desserts here for you!
You may wonder which substitutes to use for dairy free baking and treat making. Here are a few ingredients to think about.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – Earth Balance makes both vegan buttery spread and baking sticks. I like the soy free variety, but any of the varieties should work well.
- Dairy Free Chocolate – Enjoy Life and PASCHA Chocolate both make allergy friendly chocolate chips as well as bars.
- Non-Dairy Milk – When using non-dairy milk in a recipe for pudding, frosting, or a milkshake, you will want to choose a neutral tasting milk. Coconut milk, oat milk, soy milk, or rice milk should work well. If you can have nuts, many nut milks are also pretty neutral tasting.
- Whipped Topping – So Delicious makes a wonderful dairy free whipped topping called Coco Whip. I recommend the regular variety, not the light version. The light version tends to be runny.
Tips for Success
- For all allergy friendly baking, I recommend lining the cookie sheets or cake pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking. I also prefer parchment paper muffin or cupcake liners.
- If you’re serving dairy free ice cream, make sure to allow time for it to thaw before you have to scoop it. I find dairy free frozen treats take a little longer to soften, so plan ahead!
- If you’re using full fat coconut milk, you may want to chill the can in the refrigerator so that you can scoop out the coconut cream and leave the liquid behind. It depends on the recipe – make sure to read the instructions to see if you need to use all of the coconut milk or just the cream.
Coconut Tapioca Pudding from The Roasted Root – This pudding looks delicious and light, and it’s refined sugar free.
Dark Chocolate Coconut Bark from The Pretty Bee – If you’re looking for a super easy homemade treat, this chocolate coconut bar is it!
Rainbow Fruit Pizza from Petite Allergy Treats – Cookie crust, a creamy filling, and fresh fruit make this dessert perfect for summertime.
Dairy Free Coconut Custard from What the Fork – This custard looks rich and delicious – the perfect base for fresh berries and a bit of whipped cream.
Chocolate Coated Vegan Ice Cream Bars from Healthy Happy Life – These remind me of Klondike bars! A thin chocolate coating is perfect over a creamy bar of ice cream.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins from The Pretty Bee – I love pumpkin all year round, and these tender pumpkin muffins are just right for a quick dessert or a sweet breakfast.
Gluten Free Espresso Brownie Bites from Allergy Free Alaska – Chocolate brownie bites are the perfect size for packing in a school lunch.
Dairy Free Caramel Apples from The Pretty Bee – Sticky dairy free caramel and tart Granny Smith apples make this fall treat a favorite!
Mexican Chocolate Pots de Creme from Nom Nom Paleo – These chocolate pots de creme are the perfect way to end a meal. Rich, chocolatey, and so decadent!
Paleo Mocha Frappuccino from Living Healthy With Chocolate – If you’re looking for a decadent chocolate drink, this mocha frappuccino is it!
Dairy Free Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from The Pretty Bee – This is one of my very favorite ice creams. Chunks of cookie in a smooth ice cream base make this recipe a winner.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie Bars from Allergy Free Alaska – These soft bars are perfect for autumn when you’re craving all the pumpkin recipes.
Gluten Free Raspberry Buckle Dump Cake from Petite Allergy Treats – Summer is a good time to make this dump cake. Fresh summer berries will make this dessert shine!
Lemon Cream Pie Bars from Allergy Awesomeness – If you love lemon desserts, these lemon cream pie bars are for you! This bright and lemony recipe is top 8 free.
Matcha Mint Chip Ice Cream from Healthy Happy Life – A deep green color makes this vegan ice cream stand out!
Dairy Free Fudge from The Pretty Bee – This is one of my must make holiday recipes. You only need 3 ingredients to make this super rich fudge.
4 Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream from The Vegan 8 – A secret ingredient makes this dark chocolate ice cream extra smooth.
The Easiest Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake from The Pretty Bee – We make this chocolate cake all the time at our house! It’s top 8 free and so easy!
Vegan Beet Chocolate Pudding from The Roasted Root – Lots of healthy ingredients are hiding in this deep chocolate pudding.
Gluten Free Vegan Cinnamon Rolls from Fork and Beans – If you love cinnamon, you will love these allergy friendly cinnamon rolls. Try these for breakfast or dessert.
Double Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies from The Pretty Bee – These are thick and delicious, and perfect for dunking in a glass of dairy free milk.
Lemon Cranberry Cookies from Vegetarian Mamma – These light, buttery cookies are perfect for the holidays or anytime.
Cookie Dough Truffles from Vegan Richa – Cookie dough and rich chocolate make this simple dessert the perfect way to finish a meal..
Homemade Strawberry Magic Shell from Go Dairy Free – This pretty pink topping reminds me of the ice cream cones I’d get from Dairy Queen when I was a kid.
Vegan Banana Cream Pie from The Pretty Bee – If you don’t like traditional banana cream pie, you might want to try this dairy free version! It’s light and delicious.
Luv these recipes!!! My niece suffers from many allergies. No dairy, gluten, eggs, fish, soy or nuts!!! So crazy! Poor kid has been hating life! thanks to ur many recipes life may start lookin up!
Oh, I know all those food allergies are tough! I hope my recipes help!