A wonderful dairy free version of a favorite dish – this slow cooker butter chicken is creamy, warming, and comforting.
Have you ever had a really amazing meal while on vacation?
I’ve had so many delicious meals on vacations over the years. I remember wonderful meals in Toronto, in Hawaii, in California, all over Michigan, and in Chicago. A trip to Chicago with my husband many years ago is what inspired today’s recipe.
And I would love to say that it was an absolutely fabulous meal that inspired this post…but it was actually a vacation meal gone wrong. We went to an Indian restaurant that was highly recommended to us, and I ordered the Chicken Korma, and my husband ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. Our dishes arrived, and looked beautiful, but although I had ordered my dish with a mild spice level, it was so spicy it made my mouth and stomach burn.
When we waved the waiter over, he actually was not apologetic at all, and said that most of the people in the restaurant were eating food that was ten times hotter than my dish. We left right after that, and headed to get ice cream to see if that would help my burning insides calm down. Once we got home again, we headed to our favorite Indian restaurant and had a great experience as usual – that helped erase the bad memories from that trip. :)
Because I LOVE Indian food, I do miss going to good Indian restaurants now that we have a nut allergy in our family. I was really in the mood for butter chicken, and I decided to make this slow cooker version. Make this in the morning and come home to a fragrant house and a comforting and warming meal of slow cooker butter chicken.
This slow cooker butter chicken is:
- flavorful and mildly spiced
- dairy free and gluten free
- comforting and warming
- easy to make in the slow cooker
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken.
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread use dairy butter if you prefer
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 15 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- rice for serving
- Place the butter in the slow cooker along with the chopped onion. Turn the slow cooker on low heat and let the butter melt, and stir the onion to coat.
- Add the chicken, tomato sauce, coconut milk, and all of the spices. Stir.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high.
- Serve the butter chicken over cooked Basmati rice.