This creamy, light, decadent chocolate dessert pie is dairy free, gluten free, and allergy friendly. This classic dessert is totally delicious – perfect for a holiday meal. You’ll love the way the buttery crust, rich pudding, and whipped topping combine to make an absolutely spectacular treat.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by PASCHA Chocolate. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support my blog!
When you have food allergies, sometimes it just feels like you’re missing out. Whether it’s a restaurant you can’t go to, or a party you can’t attend, or a special dessert that’s not allergy friendly, it’s easy to feel like allergies are making you miss out on things you enjoy.
That’s why I’m sharing this chocolate dessert pie today.
Chocolate Dessert Pie is the best dessert in the whole universe. And this version of this amazing dessert is actually dairy free and free of the top allergens.
This is a dessert that my mom made for us every year, usually for Easter, and sometimes for Christmas, too. It’s a dessert that I have not had since cutting out gluten seven years ago, and I really missed it. It’s an amazing creamy chocolate dream on a buttery crust topped with whipped cream.
Have I sold you on it yet? You have to make this.
The original recipe for this amazing chocolatey treat came from one of my mom’s friends, and it contained a whole bunch of non-allergy friendly ingredients. Stuff like instant pudding mix, all-purpose flour, butter, cream cheese, cool-whip, and pecans. The original recipe had a big fat NO stamped all over it for me and my allergic kiddos.
But I thought that I just might be able to recreate this recipe and make it gluten free and vegan. Not only that, but why not just make it free of the top 9 allergens and still incredibly delicious? That way everyone can enjoy it!
- Non-Dairy Milk – I used So Delicious refrigerated coconut milk beverage. Make sure to try to use a neutral tasting dairy free milk for best results when making the pudding.
- Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Chips – I used chocolate chips from PASCHA Chocolate. Not only is their chocolate so wonderfully rich, but it’s free of the top 9 allergens and is made in a dedicated facility. I can buy their chocolate bars and their baking chips (which are so good in cookies, muffins, bars… you name it) and be completely confident that they are totally safe for my family.
- Arrowroot Powder – Arrowroot is used to thicken the pudding. You could also use cornstarch if you prefer.
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – You need a gluten free flour blend to make this crust, not a single flour like coconut flour or rice flour.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I used Earth Balance Soy Free Spread. You could also use the Earth Balance Baking Sticks.
- Dairy Free Cream Cheese – I used Daiya brand original flavor cream cheese.
- Dairy Free Whipped Topping – I used So Delicious Coco Whip Original. Do not use the Light variety, as it will be too runny.
The main change from my mom’s recipe is that I make the pudding from scratch. It really isn’t that hard to make rich, dairy free chocolate pudding, but it does take some time on the stove, and then some time cooling down as well. The crust is a simple buttery crust that you press in the pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Once the crust and the pudding cool, you assemble the layers and then let the whole thing chill in the fridge for a few hours.
Step by Step Instructions
- Make the pudding in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Pour the pudding into a bowl to cool, then place in the fridge to chill for 2 hours.
- While the pudding chills, make the crust. Mix up the crust ingredients in a bowl. It will look somewhat crumbly.
- Press the crust into a 9×9 square baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix up the dairy free cream cheese layer and spread on top of the cooled crust.
- Layer the chilled pudding on top of the cream cheese layer, then spread the whipped topping on, they sprinkle chocolate shavings on top. Chill the pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before enjoying.
Store leftover chocolate dessert pie in the refrigerator. Cover the pan with plastic wrap or foil. The pie should stay fresh for about 4 days.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Chocolate Dessert Pie (Gluten Free, Vegan).
For the pudding layer:
For the cream cheese layer:
- ⅔ cup Daiya brand plain cream cheese alternative
- ⅔ cup SO Delicious Coco Whip Original
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
For the top layer:
- the remainder of the container of SO Delicious Coco Whip Original
- ¼ of a bar of PASCHA 70% Cacao Organic Dark Chocolate shaved
Make the pudding:
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and ¾ cup coconut milk. Stir over medium heat until it just barely starts to simmer. Add the PASCHA chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- In a small container with a lid, combine the arrowroot powder and the 3 Tablespoons of coconut milk. Shake well to remove any lumps and set aside.
- Add the 2 ½ cups coconut milk and raise the heat slightly. Stir constantly until the mixture just starts to boil.
- Drizzle the arrowroot mixture into the pudding while stirring constantly. Continue to cook over medium low heat until the pudding is fairly thick. Transfer pudding to a bowl and let it cool down a bit .
- Cover the pudding with plastic wrap (pudding will be warm but not hot). Chill pudding in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the gluten free flour blend, vegan buttery spread, sugar, and salt. Mix together with a pastry cutter.
- Press the crust into the bottom of a 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until golden, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- When you are ready to assemble the pie, make the cream cheese layer. In a medium bowl, combine the Daiya cream cheese alternative, the ½ cup of Coco Whip, and the powdered sugar. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Use a potato peeler to make dark chocolate shavings.
Assemble the chocolate dessert pie:
- Once the crust and the pudding are completely cooled, spread the cream cheese mixture over the crust. Then spread the cooled pudding over the cream cheese layer.
- Finally, spread the remaining Coco Whip over the pudding and top with the shaved PASCHA dark chocolate.
- Refrigerate the chocolate dessert pie for at least two hours before serving.
Thank you to PASCHA Chocolate for making delicious allergen free chocolate so that recipes like this are possible.