Light and delicious vegan orange cupcakes are topped with a fluffy buttercream frosting. These are a perfect party treat!
Is there anything better than a cupcake and a cup of tea? What about a fluffy vegan orange cupcake topped with dairy free buttercream?
It’s nice to find new ways to enjoy citrus in the winter months. Sure you, can drink smoothies, and it’s always nice to do an orange poppy seed muffin, but an orange cupcake? Yes, please! These vegan orange cupcakes are nice and fluffy, and the little bit of orange juice in both the batter and the frosting gives them a delicious hint of citrus flavor.
If you aren’t a fan of orange, you can try this recipe with lemon juice, or even lime juice. The texture will be the same.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Light and Fluffy Vegan Orange Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Cream the coconut oil, canola oil, and sugar with a mixer on medium speed. Add the orange juice and water and mix until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until the tops are lightly golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Cream the vegan buttery spread with ½ cup of the confectioner's sugar using a mixer on medium speed.
- Add the orange juice and continue to mix.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and non-dairy milk a little bit at a time until you reach the desired consistency (this was a thicker frosting).
- Spread or pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
I used Cara Cara oranges, which are my very favorite kind of orange. They are sweet with a unique flavor – it’s almost a teeny bit grapefruity, and the best part is that they are loaded with vitamins, A, C, potassium, and fiber. And the inside is such a pretty color – it is a gorgeous pinky, reddish orange. So pretty! I’ve found Cara Cara oranges at Costco and Kroger.
If you can’t find Cara Caras, any orange will do!
Looking for more vegan cupcakes? Try these tender vegan yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting.
Enjoy! It’s nice to be able to bake something a little bit lighter in the winter, and to enjoy the citrus fruits while they are in season!
These vegan orange cupcakes are:
- light and fluffy
- even tastier than traditional cupcakes
- perfect for a birthday party
If you aren’t dairy free, you can use regular butter and milk. If you would rather do a whole wheat flour, you can do that as well, but they will be a bit heavier and not as fluffy.