Need a quick and tasty dessert that’s dairy free and egg free? Try this vegan banana chocolate chip cake! So moist, tender, and loaded with chocolate chips. This is a family favorite.
Sometimes you just need a slice of cake, don’t you? If you’re having a long day, or if it’s a freezing cold day and you’d like something to enjoy with your tea…a piece of cake sounds good.
And if you are in a hurry, you might wonder what kind of recipe to use to get that slice of cake in front of you quickly.
This vegan banana chocolate chip cake is just the thing to try. It comes together really easily, and it’s very moist and flavorful.
If you’re like me, and always have brown bananas in the refrigerator, this is a great way to use them up! It’s a quick and easy dessert that’s great on its own, or you can top it with some coconut whipped cream if you like!
The riper your bananas, the more flavorful the cake will be! Use bananas that have a fair amount of brown spots, or over ripe bananas that you have stored in the freezer for the best results.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar, you can use cane sugar, date sugar, granulated sugar, or a mix of any of these. Use what you have on hand!
- If you’d rather not use organic canola oil, you can use coconut oil or melted vegan buttery spread.
- If you’re out of non-dairy milk, feel free to use water.
Gluten Free Option
I have made this cake with gluten free flour before, and it turned out well! Try Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, or a different blend of your choosing. For another gluten free vegan banana dessert recipe, try this chocolate banana bread.
Lower Sugar Option
If you want to use less sugar you can. I have used ¼ cup less sugar in this recipe before with good results. If your family is used to desserts being less sweet, you can probably reduce the sugar by even more.
- Instead of chocolate chips, add blueberries to the batter.
- Add a few tablespoons of sunbutter to the batter for a different flavor.
- Try adding white chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips for a change.
- Frost this cake with dairy free chocolate frosting for a more decadent dessert.
Store leftover cake in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 4 days.
👩🏻🍳 Are you ready to learn more about gluten free and vegan baking? Join my community today and get emails with delicious recipes that really work!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Cake.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour or gluten free flour if you prefer
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil or melted coconut oil or vegan buttery spread
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk or water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish (I used a Pyrex square pan).
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, then add the coconut sugar, granulated sugar, organic canola oil, vinegar and non-dairy milk. Mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
This post was originally published in May 2014. It has been updated.