Okay, it’s a cold fall morning…you’re chilly, and want a warm drink, maybe hot cocoa…but, oh no! You’re a vegan, or on a dairy free diet. What do you do? What do you do?
Never fear, I have a super simple recipe here for you. I LOVE hot cocoa. I don’t drink coffee, and hot cocoa was a staple item for me in the winter time. I would so look forward to my Starbucks hot cocoa, but once I stopped eating dairy, Starbucks cocoa was no longer a part of my winter routine. Insert sad face.
So I had to figure out how to make yummy vegan cocoa at home. Here’s my recipe:
The Best Vegan Hot Cocoa.
- 3 cups plain almond milk you could probably use any non-dairy milk, but I think almond milk tastes the closest to dairy milk in this recipe
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 and 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
Heat the almond milk in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. You do not want to boil it.
Whisk in your cocoa powder, and then your sugar. Whisk until it is smooth without any lumps.
Pour into mugs and enjoy!
Of course, you can use any kind of dairy free milk that works for your diet. I prefer almond milk, because it has a nice creamy texture, but any non-dairy milk will work!
That’s it for today, friends…have a wonderful autumn weekend! I hope you get a chance to sit down with a cup of cocoa and a good book! (And maybe a cookie or two).
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Egg Free Comfort Food.
Linking up to some of these parties.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Truffle Easter Eggs. - April 5, 2017
- Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake (Gluten Free and Vegan). - March 30, 2017