Okay, it’s a cold fall morning…you’re chilly, and want a warm drink, maybe hot cocoa…but, oh no! You’re a vegan, or on a dairy free diet. What do you do? What do you do?
Never fear, I have a super simple recipe here for you. I LOVE hot cocoa. I don’t drink coffee, and hot cocoa was a staple item for me in the winter time. I would so look forward to my Starbucks hot cocoa, but once I stopped eating dairy, Starbucks cocoa was no longer a part of my winter routine. Insert sad face.
So I had to figure out how to make yummy vegan cocoa at home. Here’s my recipe:
- 3 cups plain almond milk (you could probably use any non-dairy milk, but I think almond milk tastes the closest to dairy milk in this recipe)
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 and ½ Tablespoons sugar
- Heat the almond milk in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. You do not want to boil it.
- Whisk in your cocoa powder, and then your sugar. Whisk until it is smooth without any lumps.
- Pour into mugs and enjoy!
Of course, you can use any kind of dairy free milk that works for your diet. I prefer almond milk, because it has a nice creamy texture, but any non-dairy milk will work!
That’s it for today, friends…have a wonderful autumn weekend! I hope you get a chance to sit down with a cup of cocoa and a good book! (And maybe a cookie or two).
This post is part of my series, 31 Days of Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Egg Free Comfort Food.
Linking up to some of these parties.