What are you happier about these days…butternut squash recipes, or pumpkin recipes? It’s a tough call, right? There’s butternut squash risotto, and butternut squash pasta, and pumpkin muffins, and pumpkin, well, EVERYTHING.
Today we’re going to talk about one of my favorite favorite fall soups…butternut squash soup. But this version has apples, and bacon! Yum. You just can’t go wrong with a little bacon on top of a hot bowl of soup.
Now of course you can make this soup with fresh squash that has been roasted. But if you don’t have the time, frozen squash works very well, too. If you don’t do bacon, go ahead and just use olive oil in place of the bacon grease. You can top the soup with pepitas, roasted nuts, or crackers.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon
- 4 apples, peeled and diced
- two 12 ounce boxes frozen winter squash puree
- 1 32 ounce box chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large soup pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Remove all but about two teaspoons of the bacon grease from the pan.
- Cook the onion and the apples in the bacon grease until soft.
- While the onions and apples are cooking, partially defrost the squash. Place the frozen squash in a large bowl and microwave on 60% power for about 5 minutes.
- Once the onions and apples are soft, add the squash, and spices. Cook over medium heat until the squash is hot. Add the broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook to let the flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree soup using an immersion blender.
- Add the orange juice and stir. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon into bowls, and top with crumbled bacon.
Enjoy! Have you made any squash soup yet this year?
This post is part of my series: 31 Days of Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Soups, Salads, Sides & Sweets.
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016