These hemp seed granola bars are full of delicious ingredients – oats, cereal, hemp seeds, sunbutter, and chocolate chunks. This is an easy no bake granola bar recipe that you’ll turn to again and again.
Granola bars are one snack that can be a little tricky when you’re dealing with nut allergies. The bars you find at the store can be full of various allergens – wheat, nuts, dairy, sesame…the list goes on and on.
Of course, there are some really great allergy friendly granola bars out there. We love Made Good Bars and 88 Acres Bars. You can find more options to choose from in my list of allergy friendly products.
But if you’d like to make your own granola bars, these chocolate hemp seed bars are easy to make and very tasty. The hemp seeds add fiber, protein, and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. I like adding them to granola and other snacks because they add a nutty flavor and texture without being actual nuts.
This is a great recipe to make on Sunday night so that you have these bars ready to snack on all week.
- Hemp Seeds – I use hemp seeds from Manitoba Harvest, which processes their hemp seeds on lines that are free from other allergens.
- Sunbutter – We love sunflower butter, and it adds a nice flavor to these bars. Feel free to use any seed or nut butter that you like in this recipe.
- Certified Gluten Free Oats – If you are gluten free, make sure you use certified gluten free oats. Two brands to look into are Gerbs and GF Harvest.
- You can add white chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips to the dough instead of chocolate shavings.
- You can use honey instead of maple syrup if you prefer.
- If you can’t have oats, you can try making these with coconut flakes and more seeds instead.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the gluten free oats in the food processor and process until a fine flour forms.
- Add the cereal and hemp seeds and pulse again.
- Add the cocoa powder, sunbutter, and maple syrup.
- Process until the mixture comes together into a thick dough.
- Pat the dough into a pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Remove the slab of granola bars from the pan and use a sharp knife to slice into bars.
Store these granola bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about a week. You can also freeze these – store in a freezer bag for up to three months.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Double Chocolate Hemp Seed Granola Bars.
Double chocolate granola bars have a little extra protein and fiber from the addition of hemp seeds. These are a quick and easy snack option that's nut free!
- 1 ½ cups certified gluten free old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup gluten free cheerios or a different cereal, like rice chex
- ½ cup hemp seed hearts
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 9 Tablespoons maple syrup ½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon
- ½ cup creamy sunbutter or a different seed butter
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate shavings about one Enjoy Life chocolate bar
Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over two sides.
Use a sharp knife to finely chop the dairy free chocolate bar. Carefully drag the knife on the edges of the bar so that little shavings of chocolate fall off. Set aside.
Place the oats into a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground.
Add the hemp seed hearts and the cereal, and pulse again to grind.
Add the maple syrup and sunbutter, and process until a thick dough forms.
Add the chocolate shavings and pulse a couple of times to combine.
Scoop the dough into the prepared pan. Use your hands to press the bars down firmly and evenly. You can cover your hands with a piece of waxed paper if that makes it easier.
Cover the pan and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
Use a very sharp knife to slice the bars. You slice them in the pan, or remove the slab of bars with the parchment paper overhang and then slice the bars outside of the pan.
Store chocolate granola bars in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh for about one week.
You can freeze these – store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You can leave out the cereal and use more oats if you like.